• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

These boots......

Koda

Slightly Talkative
Just wondering how many of us keep alternative footwear in our transport? I keep a comfortable pair of "Tactical" boots in case I gotta take a walk.

I'm the other way round. Office shoes in the bag and comfy footwear on my feet. I've had to walk home a few times, lesson learned.;)

My normal footwear image.jpeg image.jpeg

im with ystranc my every day foot ware is walking boots so no need to have them in car or ready as there always on my feet.

I wanted some of those Altberg Veld-hogs but there was at least a 16 week lead time on them so I went for the Meindl version...I wasn't disappointed, my only slight criticism it that the sole is a little soft.
I also like Danner boots but they're difficult to find over here in the non mil-spec styles like the Danner Elk.
I would never consider wearing second rate footwear, you need to look after your feet.

i hear you on wearing second rate foot ware!
i once made the mistake of wearing a pair of danner that didnt feel right on an exercise in slovakia witch turned out to be a survival exercise for 3 days in the hills with no kit other than what you wore.Turned out having to walk 70km on very hilly ground and i finnished with pretty much no skin left on the bottom of my feet!

Lesson learned

Ouch! what socks were you wearing? I really hate the more modern army socks but it sounds like you could have done to double them up.

could have done with a coat too it was freezing haha plus the bear noises didnt help me sleep hahah

There is a firm called Hoggs go Fife that produce outdoor wear, their wool rich socks wick the sweat away from your feet and prevent bacterial build up if you end up wearing the same pair for the whole week with wet feet. I also really like alpaca wool socks but they're expensive and tend to wear out fast. Very warm and extremely comfortable over distances.

I think other than that one time i have been lucky my feet mainly look after them selfs, maybe airing off and a bit of powder.But the old black taxis did some miles!

Have any of you tried socks or boot liners with bamboo fibre in them? I'm told that they're extremely good for your feet.

l never wear uncomfortable shoes/boots except for weddings and then l keep a comfy pair in the car. ln the past l have bought shoes intended for boys as the ladies ones were too narrow. At home l tend to live in wellies (the sort the local farmers wear, not fashion ones as they don't last long enough and are too narrow in the leg). The only problem with these is that from time to time l end up stepping out of my wellies into the mud - well usually only one foot.

Have any of you tried socks or boot liners with bamboo fibre in them? I'm told that they're extremely good for your feet.

I thought you were joking so I looked them up. They do seem to get a good review.

Barbour did an expensive line of wellies with bamboo linings but they were out of my price range, steel toe Dunlop's around the holding instead. They're heavy but they've saved my little toesies a few times. They also have more tread then a tractor.

I agree totally about the good quality, well fitting boots. I paid a small fortune for my hiking boots, but 6 years later and they're still going strong and my feet although tired after a days walking, don't hurt. I made the mistake of forgetting them on a recent trip and instead wore a pair of light weight walking trainers. I'd worn them a few times and thought they'd be OK but there's a difference between wearing them around town or on a stroll and walking 10 miles. After walking 5 miles I had blisters on both feet, was bleeding, limping and in agony. Luckily I was able to purchase some blister plasters next day (the kind that create a protective bubble once applied and are also waterproof). Feet were as good as new with the blister plasters and I managed a good few pain free walks with my blisters. Something as simple as a blister can stop you or someone in your pack making good progress. Maybe a good idea to add them to bug-out first aid kits. On the subject of socks, a silk blend is good for comfort and warmth, but they wear out quick. Another note on socks, they need to be the right size, too big and they tend to wrinkle under your foot in your boots.

These days I only wear boots on cold/winter camps or hill/mountain hikes (but not always), the rest of the year I wear trainers and my feet thank me for it. When I did the TGO Challenge I noticed more and more people using trainers and some were even hiking in Crocs. On warmer weather woodland camps I use crocs a lot.

I have been a bit of a 'boot whore' in the past and seem to have collected a few pairs over the years, Danner, Magnum, Pro, Matterhorn and more including bog standard LPC's and I like them all but don't like the weight these days.

Back