• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

These boots......

Mmm yes, weight is always an issue Harry, especially if you've also got a full pack but if I headed up into the Cambrians or Beacons wearing trainers my feet would soon be soaked and they have no ankle support to speak of.

I walked the Beacons last year in trainers, yep, feet got a tad wet but dried out in not time. The jury is out on how effective 'ankle support' really is. Some sites say its needed and other sites say its not...take your pick.

How’s this for every day foot wear :D
2A34BCE2-B0F5-46DF-AA92-322F6FE5169A.jpeg

:rofl::rofl:

These days I only wear boots on cold/winter camps or hill/mountain hikes (but not always), the rest of the year I wear trainers and my feet thank me for it. When I did the TGO Challenge I noticed more and more people using trainers and some were even hiking in Crocs. On warmer weather woodland camps I use crocs a lot.

I have been a bit of a 'boot whore' in the past and seem to have collected a few pairs over the years, Danner, Magnum, Pro, Matterhorn and more including bog standard LPC's and I like them all but don't like the weight these days.

I think it depends on the terrain, distance and all kinds of other variables. My hiking boots are very light weight and a mixture of materials designed to let your feet breath and so they're pretty comfortable. I do a lot of hill walking and I like the ankle protection and support for when the ground gets rocky or uneven. Must point out that the trainers that gave me the issues were Merrel hybrid water shoes designed for both canoeing and portaging, technically brilliant but they just don't like the shape of my feet for some reason. Crocs are great for around camp to give your feet a rest and give them some air and are really comfortable to walk in until your feet get sweaty and then you slide in them. One of the many variables, not everyone gets sweaty feet, like me :) I guess the important thing is to have the foot wear you know and trust and have tested over long distance and different terrain. If it works, it works!

I wear cheap wellingtons most of the time (did you know willies keeps autocorrecting :D). Expensive ones are a waste of money, they still split eventually. I have two pair of very good lightweight walking boots with vibram soles for the fells, one pair was in a sale, a pair of new balance trail shoes for walking in dry weather (obviously I've had them years) and a lovely pair of waterproof Dublin riding boots for when I want to impress. Crocs, yuck, would rather go barefoot and often do.

I wear cheap wellingtons most of the time (did you know willies keeps autocorrecting :D). Expensive ones are a waste of money, they still split eventually. I have two pair of very good lightweight walking boots with vibram soles for the fells, one pair was in a sale, a pair of new balance trail shoes for walking in dry weather (obviously I've had them years) and a lovely pair of waterproof Dublin riding boots for when I want to impress. Crocs, yuck, would rather go barefoot and often do.
Cheap wellies are no good for me as they aren't usually big enough around the calf. The last pair l had only lasted 6 months and then became a plaything for the pigs. The Dunlop ones in use daily that l have now, have been going for 3 1/2 years with replacement insoles only and look as good as new with good deep tread still. Barefoot ? Not for me, l've stood on those single Lego bricks too often. OH and the boys always go barefoot indoors but l wear lined crocs - solves the problem of sweaty feet.

Merrels would make a statue's feet sweat, they also seem to be a perfect medium for culturing bacteria.
Sweaty feet? Wool socks are your friend.

Wool allergy unfortunately. It was the Crocs that caused the problem with sweaty feet if I wear them outside (Thanks for the tip about the liners Barbara!), the Merrels cause the blisters. Honestly my feet sweat in flip-flops... it's just not right :eek: They're generally considered a toxic substance in our home!

Sweaty feet in Crocs go against the laws of Biology...get those plates looked at.

That's a nice way of calling me a freak of nature :rofl: Runs in the family, one of them put up with it kind of things, not really a cure, but hey, could be worse! I'm going to just get some of those liners for my Crocs.

Back