• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

This years new crop going in

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Morning people new member have posted an introduction on relevant board have been growing veg for the last 3 odd years, always happy to learn new things.

This years crop going in.
P1180185.JPG
P1180188.JPG

In all , will have peas, potatoes, broad beans, carrots, parsnips, garlic, onions , artichokes, will be plainting leeks and aspagus soon

Greetings. the ones on the left will be for asparagus (first picture) others will be for whatever, probably potatoes

Im new to growing and just brought some seed potatoes (very large runners coming off them mind) and im going to try to grow them in similar size plant pots.

So was wondering how they usually grow.

May I ask what variety?.(gourmandines are good) as for growing in bins, did so with no problems, my bins have had pretty much everything they need, horse manure, chicken manure( strong don't use too much) as well as blond and bone and plenty of leftovers on the compost heap. also another question, how much space can u grow in, very easy to make a planter, cheap too.

im going to make some planters out of pallets when the weather gets a bit better(already have 18 pallets all new,got them from work free).Each planter will be 2 pallets length and 1 width, but alot higher than yours as i want to keep them out of the dogs reach and im thinking of making some cold frames that i can take on and off top to prolong my growing seasons.

Morning people new member have posted an introduction on relevant board have been growing veg for the last 3 odd years, always happy to learn new things.

This years crop going in.
View attachment 12983View attachment 12984
That's an excellent spot for your raised beds and with the walls round them it should give you a head start. With onion sets, shallots and garlic you can get them in in October and they will overwinter without problems and give you an early crop. I use large raises bed for root crops and everything else goes into the other veg plot

Had a busy two days bringing garden to "shape". The first signs of Spud life are here, just poking through. The Red Onions are growing away nicely, and two days serious weeding means the Garden looks a bit neater:rolleyes:. On that subject I finally manged to sort out "That Corner" we all seem to have somewhere in/on our plot. Only took me 6 years:eek::eek::eek::eek:-these things need careful consideration, where am I going to put all the crap now:(:(:(

It appears the first problem of the year has arrived and its the staple of the veg growing the humble potato, with a little bit of research I think (although not sure) it may have verticillium wilt, not had to deal with it before and my quick research has told me that there is no known chemical treatment, not so good any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
P1190103.JPG
P1190104.JPG

I'm not sure about this one, I would start by cutting off and burning any infected leaves that I see then swamping all the spuds with a copper sulphate solution. It might or might not do the trick but might be worth a try

Aghh right mate.

I know nothing about gardening or growing.
My thought was if it were parasitic maybe brushing on some Jeys Fluid on the outside of the wooden planters may help to deter the snails and bugs.

I will finish the washing up then :whistle::rofl:

Aghh right mate.

I know nothing about gardening or growing.
My thought was if it were parasitic maybe brushing on some Jeys Fluid on the outside of the wooden planters may help to deter the snails and bugs.

I will finish the washing up then :whistle::rofl:
Well mate Lorraine always said you looked good in a pinny :lol::lol::lol:

After further research

How do you treat verticillium wilt?
Fertilize on schedule, using a low-nitrogen, high-phosphorus fertilizer. Prune off dead and dying branches. You can often get rid of the verticillium wilt fungus in the soil by solarization. Soil solarization heats up the top 6 inches or so of soil to temperatures high enough to kill the fungus.Apr 5, 2018

thats is if that is what i am dealing with

Verticillium wilt/RHS Gardening

After some ideal weather over the last 20 odd days, everything has had a good spurt of growth, and it looks like my potato problem was in fact maybe just a bit of sunburn on the leaves. or the may have just recovered. P1200065.JPG P1200066.JPG

Attachments

• P1200067.JPG
    P1200067.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 141
  • P1200068.JPG
    P1200068.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 150
  • P1200070.JPG
    P1200070.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 153
  • P1200071.JPG
    P1200071.JPG