• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Thoughts on Emergency Beacons

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Hi folks

just tapping into the assembled wisdom. I've noticed one of our GME ELBs is coming up for expiry. I read somewhere you can send them off and get them 'reset' for another five years. But the catch is that process costs over $200 bucks -not much less than buying a new unit. And the technology has probably moved on now. What is the advantage of a regular ELB over something like a SPOT tracker or a device that allows messaging? I have also used these latter professionally but wonder what you out -doorsy types think? Especially the seafarers amongst us... We also have sat phones so the ELB is basically redundancy and to comply with regulations.

Cheers

Alan

I don't own one but ACR make personal locator beacons and are highly thought of. A lot of the "improvements" in technology seem to centre on software allowing friends or family being able to track you remotely in real time. Garmin subscriptions are expensive to use but new devices also communicate by text and act as a satnav.

I owe my life to an EPIRB (Emergency position indicating Radio Beacon ) I'm not even sure if the name is still used for the Marine version of the devices. Technology has moved on so far since 2007 when I triggered the Epirb which brought about my rescue years ago. Just out of interest, the Marine versions are monitored by HM Coastguard Station at Falmouth in Cornwall. It's the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) up at Pendennis Point.

Any Epirb triggered world wide would transmit a distress signal peculiar to that device only, which enabled the device to be identified. On purchase one registered the device with HM Coastguard with personal details and your vessels description and Port of registration etc:

Orbiting Satellites receive the distress signal and a location fix is obtained by triangulation, the position transmitted to Falmouth who then contact the nearest Rescue Centre to the distress signal location. In my case the Epirb was triggered by me on a reef in the Bahamas and 40 minutes later a US Coastguard Helicopter was airbourne from San Juan. Puerto Rico. Within 2 hours I was battered and half drowned but safe in the Turks and Caicos Islands which was the nearest British Protectorate and also a refuelling point for the big Helicopter, which was at the limit of it's operating range under those weather conditions. That is roughly how the maritime system used to work, anyway...I suspect the land system could be similar but may involve the land telephone network stations??

I was 1 year plus into a 2 year voyage which started in England took me to the far Eastern borders of Greece, back to Portugal then the Canary Islands and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean where the involuntary swim took place. In my case the system worked as designed. I had registered the device properly with mine and descriptive details of my boat. 6.5 tons, Cutter rig, blue hull, length, beam, bright red wind steering vane etc: etc: AND a brief itinerary of my voyage. April depart from Falmouth, May on Portugese Algarve, July Balaeric Islands area, winter in Kalamata in Greece and so on...When the Epirb triggered and Falmouth looked on their computer screen and saw my Epirb and my submitted itinerary they knew it was not one of literally thousands of false alarms and were able to react quickly without investigating if this was yet another idiot ....."I wonder what happens if I press this red button ?"

Enough waffle of days gone by......my opinion on buying one is if a realistic chance of needing a location device can be justified, then get the best available and be prepared to give enough personal information ( many people will not or fail to do so) to assist the Emergency Services in any rescue. Keep the information updated, if you are in one area almost permanently it doesn't matter, still update periodically, but if moving a significant distance...ie: living in England but going trekking in Iceland, update the information. Rescue operations will be started much quicker if the information on the computers tallies with the location of the distress signal origin.

I have a small submersible epirb which I use when diving. You never know when you might get dragged away on a current. Current cost is around £250. They have changed the frequency they work on but maybe over five years ago. Never used mine in anger but it does give you a degree of ease when diving in places like Red Sea. From experience the life expectancy of a small personal EPIRB is around five years.

When I read this sad tale the thought crossed my mind that we had spoken about location aids only the other day.
It's not clear yet how he died, but if he was injured and did not survive the night because he wasn't found in time, a locator beacon would have been worthwhile for someone like this poor bloke, who ran around in the hills as a sport.

Or if you're feeling like a bit of a kit tart and you have just had a lottery win there is the Breitling Emergency 2

Lots of people bemoan smartphones but they can save your life and minimise the risk to others. My former Sgt Maj is a member of Ogwyn valley mountain rescue; a member of his team showed me the system they use that, once you’ve dialled 999, they can track your location onto a digital map and if you are lost ring you up and talk You back on track without them having to leave their base. He described guiding a lady back to her car whilst not having to put his glass of wine down!

Reactions: Bam
Strangely the mountain rescue team weren’t as impressed by what3 words; they said if you can ring then the ability to locate you via the phone all is more useful.

mice mentioned it before but if you have a poor signal it is possible to text message 999, but you have to have registered the service first.

999 using a text: emergencySMS
  1. Register your mobile. Text the word 'register' to 999. ...
  2. Read the message. You'll get an automatic textreply. ...
  3. Reply to the message. Read the message and then reply by texting 'yes'.
  4. Get a 'success' text. ...
  5. Check it.

I have a small submersible epirb which I use when diving. You never know when you might get dragged away on a current. Current cost is around £250. They have changed the frequency they work on but maybe over five years ago. Never used mine in anger but it does give you a degree of ease when diving in places like Red Sea. From experience the life expectancy of a small personal EPIRB is around five years.
I like the idea of that for diving. In my diving days all you had was a surface marker buoy. Too many tales of divers in the Red Sea being missed on surfacing, and ending up around the oil rigs!!

Hi folks

just tapping into the assembled wisdom. I've noticed one of our GME ELBs is coming up for expiry. I read somewhere you can send them off and get them 'reset' for another five years. But the catch is that process costs over $200 bucks -not much less than buying a new unit. And the technology has probably moved on now. What is the advantage of a regular ELB over something like a SPOT tracker or a device that allows messaging? I have also used these latter professionally but wonder what you out -doorsy types think? Especially the seafarers amongst us... We also have sat phones so the ELB is basically redundancy and to comply with regulations.

Cheers

Alan

I’m sure I watched a ray mears program where he was travelling to the outback Australia and rented an emergency beacon. Bloody good idea imo 👍🏻 I don’t have any knowledge on this subject however I can see how beneficial it would be for you Alan, makes perfect sense buddy

Yup it was ray mears 👍🏻 Here’s the video on YouTube, the hole video sounds like it’s vital for survival in the out back, 12 minutes into the video is when he talks about the emergency beacon

Reactions: Bam
Hi Ark 79

Who is that bloke? Over here we have our own 'bushie' celebrities... its a bit of a genre....

Alan

ray mears, he’s a bit of a Bushcraft celebrity in the uk, he’s been all over, tad posh and up himself but bloody knowledgable on all things outdoors/survival..... you could say he’s a calmed down version off bear grill but just as posh lol

Back