• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

TIC prevention

Ark79

Site Manager
What do you use??

I’ve really not bothered with chemicals to stop the little 💩’s , before… however im looking into this as my little ones are tagging along more and more as they get older so that’s made me reevaluate things, normally I just tuck the trouser leg into the socks (when I remember) and stay away from long brush (if I can ) go for a shower and put my clothes in the washer when I get home…. But I’ve been looking at sawyer permethrin for my clothes and DEET for the skin …. It seems to get good reviews

All good stuff Mark, and you are covering all angles there mate. 👍 My personal choice is Trek 50, a Pyramid product, or perhaps their Tick and Midge repellent.

I have used both from Dartmoor, Tick central, to Equatorial Africa, serious Malaria country, Southern Africa, Malaysia and the tropical Northern Territories of Australia, and not been bitten by any biting things, certainly not that I can remember.

Another theory, totally unproven and unscientific, but I eat loads of Garlic, I just love the stuff……..Even on Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and Devon Cream Tea. I don’t, and never have, get particularly bothered by Ticks, I can only remember having three attached in my life. Considering what I have done for a living, and what I have done, and still do for hobbies, and where I do it, I should get be getting them all the time…..But I don’t. 🤞🤞

Ps: I know three of my former work colleagues, and a National Trust Ranger, who have contracted Lyme Disease……It ain’t nice, so take precautions mate.

Cheers Mike 👍🏻 Will get some Trek 50 , considering what you have done and where you’ve been, as you said ! then I’m sure that’s all the review I need 😁

I’ve flicked a few tic’s of my hand and trousers legs and never giving the wee shits a second thought, have always checked when I got home tho ….. as I said it’s mainly because of my youngins that’s making me think more about it or take more notice… and I’m getting older and noticeably I’m not shaking things off as easily as I once did 😂

Back