• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tick News .....

Good post Rob :thumbsup:

Highlights the importance of being aware for people who spend a lot of time in the outdoors as most of us do.
Only takes a minute to check yourself and/or your mates each day.
Food for thought also to question if the kit we wear is offering enough protection.......what as individuals can we do personally..... to improve our protection.

Good post rob. It’s something I always worry about when am out with the kids.... as said, a good check when you get home. I wouldn’t leave anything to chance. Always contact your GP if you are bitten. Safe than sorry is the way with these little critters. This is one of the reasons I favour winter camps and walks.

Honestly worked on a farm for years and don't remember having a tick bite.... Even while handling sheep covered in them.... But had to have an injection while heading out to the sticks in Latvia on a working stroke holiday in forestry as Lyme decease was bad back in 2007.......anyway have been investing in craghoppers nosilife clothing and treating my other kit with permethrin, also bought a gorka suit with tick traps.... Still to catch a wee bugger yet🤔😁

In what way ?

I've been fortunate, never been bitten, touch wood.
I used to get bitten all the time in Germany and never got sick, maybe I was just lucky. Had a few when attending the summer meets. The problem down there was that the ticks were so small you could hardly see them

I think the more that I get out the more I like to be in an inner of some sort, even if it's a bug net over a bivvy, I know that's not going to stop them from attaching to your clothing if your yomping through the mire but it gives a little sense of security :)

In what way ?

I've been fortunate, never been bitten, touch wood.
The Doctor had to look it up and she was shocked because the reccomended dose of antibiotics (I forget which one) was so massive, the pharmacist didn't have enough stock to cover the prescription so I had to go back to collect part of it....it seems they either take it very seriously or have no idea what to do and have to look it up.
Whatever happens don't let a receptionist mess you about, tick bites demand an emergency appointment as there is a very limited amount of time to treat Lyme disease and it is life changing...since the Iranian tick has shown up in the south of England the situation is even worse.

06FCC86A-BE38-4134-A0CC-BED801285862.jpeg

ls the last one found on the moon only? Or is that a lunar tick?

Seriously though, many years ago on a school field course l remember thinking our teacher wasn't much of a mountain leader when he didn't let the last 2 people to catch up with the group have a rest before moving on. Admittedly, the girl was in the wrong group (we'd been asked how much walking we'd done before the teachers allocated us to the relevant group and she obviously overestimated her stamina). The following day he went hillwalking in denim shorts in an area known for deer ticks! There wasn't the information out there then as now but if l as a teenager was aware of the risks, then our teachers certainly should have been.

I think this is a ticking time bomb for sure (no pun intended). The various "foreign" ticks (mainly from Asia) that are coming into the UK and US, is getting rather worrying.

Not just Lyme but others disease like - Thrombocytopenia - East Asia braces for surge in deadly tick-borne virus.

Last year on a ferry in Scotland I was saying to a fellow passenger that we haven't really seen ticks on the mutt or us. Then looked down on my hand and there was one crawling on me and that evening we found two more on the mutt. Lucky we haven't found them "attached" to us yet.

Back