• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tidal river/Estuary Fishing advice please

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi folks, need some knowledge if possible. Going to try out my hobo reel one day next week, and was wondering what fish tend to frequent tidal rivers, and what is the best bait to use. Taking into account I have only ever used worm or maggot and only ever caught 4 or 5 fish all less than 3/4 lb in weight looking at fishing on these 3 bends
Screenshot_2019-06-15-22-20-32.png

A small silver lure should do the job...... or a jelly worm. You could get small flat fish with the jelly worm. Very slow retrieve! . Possibly sea trout with the lure.

A short trace of silver feathers weighted with a silver spinner would cover a lot of bases. it must be something thats a bit flashy to be seen in dirty estuary water.

Hi folks, need some knowledge if possible. Going to try out my hobo reel one day next week, and was wondering what fish tend to frequent tidal rivers, and what is the best bait to use. Taking into account I have only ever used worm or maggot and only ever caught 4 or 5 fish all less than 3/4 lb in weight looking at fishing on these 3 bends
View attachment 17861
Mullet are probably the best known estuary fish and for them bread flake fished on the surface. With your hobo I'd go for flounder on the bottom on a rising tide using worm. Do a recce first so you know where the gullies are because flounder with come up those

Back