• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tilly/hurricane lantern

Ian

Quite Obsessed
I would like to get myself a small lantern, not battery type but liquid fuel, hot type.
I've got an old paraffin tilly lamp but I would find this too big to cart around when camping, also, not only do you need to carry paraffin but also the jam jar of meths with the starter thingy in it.

What can you guys suggest from your own experiences? It needs to be small, easily carried (hopefully in a rucksack) and easily lit, probably running off petrol like the Coleman ones.

Again, cheap is good, as long as the quality doesn't suffer. It won't be seeing any more than occasional use so that is another factor to bear in mind.

Any suggestions lads (and lasses)? Thanks in advance:)

Small is something that liquid fuel lanterns don't come in unfortunately. I've searched for ages for one smaller than my coleman duel fuel. You can get attachments for gas cartridges to make them into a lantern though.

I find the coleman dual fuel one i have makes up for its bulk with its performance. Very very bright and one tank of fuel will last hours. I normally only have to fill once per day, and then its generally just a top up. They put paraffin lamps to shame.

Look also at the UCO candle lanterns, small collapsable and burn for 9 hours on a single candle. Excellent inside a tent as they warm the air a bit aswell.

They're only a wick though aren't they? They dont give off much light. :)

The coleman dual fuel is like a mini sun, seriously bright. One lantern would light your whole camp up really well. :) They are no bigger than those in the link either.

I have always used a northstar lamp , i am very lucky to have one as they are not cheap to come by, i am waiting on new mantels for it and hope to start taking it out again soon,,

the write up is a bit post 90s but still true to this date

The Northstar is the newest addition to the Coleman range and has become the best seller since its release. With an amazingly bright output, they are also a good source of heat during the colder months. This model has a Electronic Ignition System. No more lighters or flints being used at awkward angles simply press the button to ignite.

Features;

• 200W Output Burn time 7 hrs (high)
  • 14 hrs (low)
  • Weighs 1.8kg
  • Tank capacity of 0.95 L
  • Electronic Ignition
  • Extra tough glass

they price from £100-£160
    and spare mantels cost £5-£8
    a spare generator cost from £10-£15....

I think when I look at the price and the size of these things I will stick to my Fenix TK12 hunting lamp/torch with it's rather phallic looking diffuser. I know it is battery powered but I have a spare battery and when it is on it's lowest setting it lasts for ages. I use it all the time when we are out in the trailer tent and with a few S-hooks handy it is easy to hang. I know it doesn't give out any heat but it also won't cost me another £60 or more:eek: Also, take off the diffuser and you have a very powerful torch to look for things or to strap to your rifle and do a bit of midnight lamping.

I can't see any way of back packing with one of these petrol lamps, you'd really need a landrover when your gear starts getting that big. I also spotted the UCO candle lanterns, they look very good, especially the micro one that takes tea lights but I still think they are a bit pricey for what you get, I might see if I can add one to my wish list though but I do wonder how wind proof they are? (Anybody know first hand?)

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated:)

I have 2 UCO's, a single and a triple candle one. Totally windproof,as that is how they are designed to be, perfect lighting for inside a tent.

The only downside to them is the candles. As in, they are designed to take the UCO candles only, and they are more expensive than standard candles but burn for 4 times longer. You can also get different types of candles such as citronella, which keep insects away. Or you can get insect repellant pads which attach to the top and release a vapour with the heat from the candle.

Really good bits of kit they are.

You can get different ones( not UCO) which take normal household candles, but they are messy/bigger and not built as well.

Bushcraft is an expensive hobby really, especially if you want quality kit. But that kit really does make a massive difference to comfort levels and therefore enjoyment levels. You don't need the top kit, but once you have used it, you will wonder what you ever did without it. :)

I think when I look at the price and the size of these things I will stick to my Fenix TK12 hunting lamp/torch with it's rather phallic looking diffuser. I know it is battery powered but I have a spare battery and when it is on it's lowest setting it lasts for ages. I use it all the time when we are out in the trailer tent and with a few S-hooks handy it is easy to hang. I know it doesn't give out any heat but it also won't cost me another £60 or more:eek: Also, take off the diffuser and you have a very powerful torch to look for things or to strap to your rifle and do a bit of midnight lamping.

I can't see any way of back packing with one of these petrol lamps, you'd really need a landrover when your gear starts getting that big. I also spotted the UCO candle lanterns, they look very good, especially the micro one that takes tea lights but I still think they are a bit pricey for what you get, I might see if I can add one to my wish list though but I do wonder how wind proof they are? (Anybody know first hand?)

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated:)

I was intrigued by this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UCO-Candle-Lantern-Micro-green/dp/B004LO9BRY

I did spot the other ones but like you said, you need special candles for them and I am always wary of extra expenses.
Now you've got me wondering how difficult it would be to adapt normal, cheaper candles to fit:rolleyes: I do like to tinker with things and build some of my own stuff rather than spend my hard earned:eek:

That looks ok, but tealight candles dont last too long and you will need to carry 8 or 9 to get the same use as from a single UCO candle. They( standard UCO's) are economical in the long run, both for what you need to carry and the performance they give.

( no i'm not on commission lol)

I was intrigued by this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UCO-Candle-Lantern-Micro-green/dp/B004LO9BRY

I did spot the other ones but like you said, you need special candles for them and I am always wary of extra expenses.
Now you've got me wondering how difficult it would be to adapt normal, cheaper candles to fit:rolleyes: I do like to tinker with things and build some of my own stuff rather than spend my hard earned:eek:

Looks like another thing to put on my birthday wish list then:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, always nice to hear first hand how well these things work.

Back