• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Time capsule contents

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
As soon as I find a suitable container I shall do my first youtube video (no matter what i have decided to give it a go and put some decent effort into it!). At the moment i am building up some contents as to what to put in so far as follows:-

Have a friend here that has a brocante, sort of a shop and they had a clear out and got some of this stuff for nowt!

England flag
Gillingham fc home shirt (my home town)
England & Gillingham crests
Baseball cap for RAF
UK Coin selection
Police badge set (not sure country)
Various original banknotes Turkey, Germany, Jamaica etc etc
repro USA banknotes
Pack of playing cards
Selection of repro USA documents
I will also be putting in a sample of my hair and blood ( sorry if people think weird)
USB flash drive of a video of the event (except the burying of course!!)

any ideas?

Attachments

• P1410006.JPG
    P1410006.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 126
  • P1410007.JPG
    P1410007.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1410008.JPG
    P1410008.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P1410011.JPG
    P1410011.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 116
  • P1410012.JPG
    P1410012.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 88
If you haven't already found a container, Medwayman, the plastic containers used to contain Nautical Distress Flares are a good bet. Usually bright yellow with red screw tops they are very tough and as the top screws down onto a rubber seal, waterproof too.

Items to include in the time capsule are a matter of personal choice, but I would say items that will change are good to include. Flags etc: don't change over time usually but some simple things do. A bus ticket, a menu with prices..Tea 6p a cup, petrol 2/3p a gallon would get some surprises now...:lol:
My first driving licence still makes me smile when I look at it...
Red-Driving-Licence.jpg

DVLC? Eh? who are they? A proper licence issued by the County Council.....:lol:
Driving-Licence.jpg

Attachments

• Red-Driving-Licence.jpg
    Red-Driving-Licence.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Driving-Licence.jpg
    Driving-Licence.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
When i finally kick the proverbial I may just wake up a few seconds/100 odd years later !!??

(and Brexit still not finished)

This just popped up in my youtube feed -
might be some ideas there, I haven't watched it all yet

Did try to find a screw top blue tub, got one with the metal clasp on, that said it is a very thick and sturdy one and I am going to SILLY wrap it in industrial shrink wrap. then a few rubble sacks and a few rolls of gorilla tape, go WAY over board keeping it dry so hopefully should be OK and I am gunna stuff as much as I can in there including a bottle of plonk of some sorts . hole not big emough yet

Attachments

• P1440012.JPG
    P1440012.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 84
  • P1440009.JPG
    P1440009.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 77
If I may make a suggestion? If that is where you are going to bury the tub, I would dig it at least one and a half or even twice the depth of the tub. Fill the lower section of the hole with coarse gravel, the 10mm plus grade which will help prevent the tub sitting in water or soggy ground after heavy rain.

I buried a similar tub in a wood in Sussex as a cache for camp gear. A big kettle, small bucket that I used as a water
'Dipper' in a nearby stream, some polypropylene rope and a couple of old fridge shelves that I used as grills.
The lid was just below ground surface level and cammo'ed with undergrowth and did not let water in, but I found the hole itself was about a third full of water which had in fact lifted the tub slightly. That was on clay/Greensand soil.

If your tub is going to be buried for decades, I think drainage of the site will be important.

Thanks go
If I may make a suggestion? If that is where you are going to bury the tub, I would dig it at least one and a half or even twice the depth of the tub. Fill the lower section of the hole with coarse gravel, the 10mm plus grade which will help prevent the tub sitting in water or soggy ground after heavy rain.

I buried a similar tub in a wood in Sussex as a cache for camp gear. A big kettle, small bucket that I used as a water
'Dipper' in a nearby stream, some polypropylene rope and a couple of old fridge shelves that I used as grills.
The lid was just below ground surface level and cammo'ed with undergrowth and did not let water in, but I found the hole itself was about a third full of water which had in fact lifted the tub slightly. That was on clay/Greensand soil.

If your tub is going to be buried for decades, I think drainage of the site will be important.
Thank!! good advice will not be burying it for a few weeks yet so any suggestions welcome have some coarse pebbles here as well so will dig a bit deeper

The usb flash drive seems a good idea but it's not something i'd include simply because technology moves on and if the time capsule survives a century there might not actually be anything to read such an old fashioned thing. If someone had done the same but used a betamax or philips 2000 video tape and you dug it up how would you watch it?

Hole I think is big enough will do a bit more work on the drainage. I think I will bury it in April on my birthday (hint hint want a new tent!!) , still have a quite a bit room in there if anyone wants anything put in PM me and maybe do able by post to France.
P1440017.JPG
P1440018.JPG
P1440019.JPG
P1440020.JPG

Looking good, Are you going to 'Mark the spot' or just leave the position/location recorded somewhere, like with the house deeds? The reason I ask is because years ago (1950's) my school did a similar thing. They didn't leave a marker, stone slab etc: to avoid someone digging it up too early.
In the 1970's I found out that the school had been changed to an Adult Education Centre and the Time Capsule was,
" Believed to be"...somewhere under the tarmac car park, but nobody knew exactly where!!! Apparently the old school paperwork had been lost by the Local Authority...:rolleyes:

Was thinking of leaving a slab on top and a few metal objects around the top just in case in whenever's time somebody came across it. I placed it near some garden steps that are in need of bit or work, I might do it over the next "X" amount of time (this is not my house I am just staff here) without sounding morbid, the boss is in his 70's and we all know nobody beats the clock, also there are a lot of derelict houses's round here so I foresee it being on the market for some time needs a good 50K spent on the place now , saying that hopefully one day somebody likes the place and extend's the steps onto a patio of some sort. Still a bit guess work and lady luck will be needed as well. Best guess it is found just inside 100 years ( or never or 10 years !!)

" Was thinking of leaving a slab on top and a few metal objects around the top "

That sounds like a good plan if there's no chance of vandals digging it up. A marker slab perhaps? You could put an old drain cover or some old scrap metal under the soil surface before you lay the slab, then if the slab gets moved sometime, anyone using a metal detector will still find your capsule.

Back