• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Time for a new watch. . . .

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Well it's time got a new watch the casio range master 9400 has served me well but it's sometimes a struggle to see the time on the negative display and the other modes on the watch at night without glasses, the illumination is not as bright as it could be and I'm needing +1.0 glasses to see very small things now :alert:

I also want everything the range master has (sunset/sunrise compass, barometer with storm alarm, tempature and altitude) but it would be nice to have moon phases, tide times and fishing times.
the new Casio protrek 7000 has all this plus great illumination and the plus of analog time with proper glow in the dark on the hands and numbers ;)

PRW-7000 recommended by virtuovice ;) so that's the new watch I guess :D

mate of mine has one of the pro trek models. Its Pretty good. The barometric pressure was generally spot on.

The triple sensors on the new casio g shock range spot on I've never had a issue with them other than the altitude mode which does need to be checked every now and then but to be fair it works on the the air pressure so driving and moving location can effect its reading but once your at a set location and you calibrate the altitude all the sensors are 99% although I will never trust an electronic compass 100% lol so I always attach a strap compass to use in conjunction with the electronic compass ;)

The sensors on the earlier Casio PRW ranges were a bit hit and miss and I can't comment on the sensors on the pro trek models from recent years but like I say the current g shock triple sensor watches are very very good and accurate.

I like the fact that on the new pro trek 7000 model both the second hand and the info hand on the mini dial moves in conjunction with the second had on compass mood so they select north together, I can see why that has been done! having two hands showing the reading is more reassuring to me that the electronic compass is working correctly and the hands are moving freely, my only issue with the pro trek range is are they as tuff as the g shock range? I have to say the g shock watches really are tuff, my rangeman 9400 has survived so far! I'm not so sure the new pro trek range are tough enough for my use and abuse lol, the early models weren't so I stuck to using trusted analog watches and using them as a time compass (link below) I switched to sunto watches when they came out but broke a few so I didn't bother with feature watches at all and used the sun, moon and stars for navigation along with other survival techniques. When the new g shock triple sensor models came out I got one and they have remain undefeated! Do I really need a watch with all these gizmos? Not really and such gizmos distract you from using you skills and instincts.

When your out in the bush do you 'feel' a temperature change (therefore indicating a change in the air pressure hence a new high or low weather front is moving in) can you not? YES.

Do the sun, moon and stars not give you your position? YES.

Do you really need to know your altitude unless you in an aircraft fly on instruments only. NO.

Can you see and hear the natural signs of sun set and sun rise? YES.

Can you tell the time by measuring the distance of the sun to the horizon? YES.

Can you stand at the sea shore and watch the tide for 5 minutes and determine if the tide is coming in or out? YES

Do i still want the high teck outdoor watch? Hell yes cos it looks good and when I'm stuck indoors and the other half is watching eastenders I can any with it :rofl: but when it's broken I won't need it ;)

Telling the time by your hand and the sun ;)

The triple sensors on the new casio g shock range spot on I've never had a issue with them other than the altitude mode which does need to be checked every now and then but to be fair it works on the the air pressure so driving and moving location can effect its reading but once your at a set location and you calibrate the altitude all the sensors are 99% although I will never trust an electronic compass 100% lol so I always attach a strap compass to use in conjunction with the electronic compass ;)

The sensors on the earlier Casio PRW ranges were a bit hit and miss and I can't comment on the sensors on the pro trek models from recent years but like I say the current g shock triple sensor watches are very very good and accurate.

I like the fact that on the new pro trek 7000 model both the second hand and the info hand on the mini dial moves in conjunction with the second had on compass mood so they select north together, I can see why that has been done! having two hands showing the reading is more reassuring to me that the electronic compass is working correctly and the hands are moving freely, my only issue with the pro trek range is are they as tuff as the g shock range? I have to say the g shock watches really are tuff, my rangeman 9400 has survived so far! I'm not so sure the new pro trek range are tough enough for my use and abuse lol, the early models weren't so I stuck to using trusted analog watches and using them as a time compass (link below) I switched to sunto watches when they came out but broke a few so I didn't bother with feature watches at all and used the sun, moon and stars for navigation along with other survival techniques. When the new g shock triple sensor models came out I got one and they have remain undefeated! Do I really need a watch with all these gizmos? Not really and such gizmos distract you from using you skills and instincts.

When your out in the bush do you 'feel' a temperature change (therefore indicating a change in the air pressure hence a new high or low weather front is moving in) can you not? YES.

Do the sun, moon and stars not give you your position? YES.

Do you really need to know your altitude unless you in an aircraft fly on instruments only. NO.

Can you see and hear the natural signs of sun set and sun rise? YES.

Can you tell the time by measuring the distance of the sun to the horizon? YES.

Can you stand at the sea shore and watch the tide for 5 minutes and determine if the tide is coming in or out? YES

Do i still want the high teck outdoor watch? Hell yes cos it looks good and when I'm stuck indoors and the other half is watching eastenders I can any with it :rofl: but when it's broken I won't need it ;)

Telling the time by your hand and the sun ;)

Looks like you've done your homework on it.. and got your heart set on one :thumbsup::D

I think my next watch will be from the G Shock range.. they look like they can take alot of abuse.. and plenty of nice features on them. I nearly bought a new G Shock Mudman a while back on ebay.. but got out bid at the end of the auction :sad:

knowing your altitude can be a useful navigational aid providing you have a contoured map, especially in times of poor visibility.

Looks like you've done your homework on it.. and got your heart set on one :thumbsup::D

I think my next watch will be from the G Shock range.. they look like they can take alot of abuse.. and plenty of nice features on them. I nearly bought a new G Shock Mudman a while back on ebay.. but got out bid at the end of the auction :sad:

Well my range an 9400 may we'll be up for grabs I've got other stuff to clear out as well so I will update my selling membership to list some gear the weekend

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi, Lee.

You Wrote above ^^^^ :

" Well my range an 9400 may we'll be up for grabs I've got other stuff to clear out as well so I will update my selling membership to list some gear the weekend"

Just to clarify guys :

The Bushcraftforum does not have a Selling membership.
What it does have is a Donation option.

The Donation option is for those who would like to help out with the running costs of the forum......all donations are much appreciated.

Joining in with the Donation option affords more privileges to the member donating.....selling of personal kit being one of them now.

It is hoped that the introduction and inclusion of selling privileges within the donation system will discourage ALL non donators and outsiders from treating the Bushcraftforum as a free for all selling platform.

The forum has seen in the past....people turn up.....say hello..... and then jump straight into selling all sorts.....never to be seen again afterwards:(

Any commercial sales are negotiated and finalised by Admin.

If members do not wish to donate for what ever reason they should not mention items for sale..... or maybe for sale...... on the open forum......the posts will be deleted.

Last edited:
Had a hands on look at the pro trek 7000 and I don't like it so I've gone for another g shock ordered up the g shock gulfmaster 1000b it has all the features the mud master had plus what I wanted. . . . moon and tide graph whilst still keeping the best feature the triple sensors offer. . . . The storm alarm barometer feature! The gulf master has the same negative display lcd display but the time is analog with good glow in the dark, the tide and barometer readings are shown on a mini dial display as well as the lcd and the same with the compass, direction is the second hand and heading degrees are shown on the lcd. I like the colour ;)
Full Review shortly.

image.png

Back