• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Time For A Sugar Detox?

and palm oil is in everything, just trying to avoid it is a huge task.
but I was talking about ADDED sugar, sugar that is added to a product when it dosent really need to be, which is why we have an obesity crisis in this country.

It's easy enough to stop adding sugar to food and drink that you're preparing for yourself from scratch but it's in all kinds of canned or processed foods so an actual detox is very difficult. Sugar comes in different forms that act in different ways. You'll spend a lot of time reading very small print on the backs of canned goods. Briefly there was a trend for supermarkets to stock some sugar free alternatives but the manufacturers often feel the need to add saccharine as a substitute, I avoid saccharine if at all possible because some research links it to cancer.
The trend towards detoxing or cutting out food groups is probably unnecessary, I prefer to exercise moderation in all things.

this article was prompted by recent events on my part, we bought some mince pies in the supermarket which had HEAPS of added sugar all over the tops of them, which was quite easy to remove, but it prompted me to add this piece when I came across it.
we haven't taken sugar in tea or coffee for nearly 20 years.

Mince pies in October? I think I can see a perfectly reasonable way of cutting down on sugar. I know that Christmas foods start appearing in the shops earlier each year but that is ridiculous.
Christmas, the season of gross materialism and overeating :fedup:......oops sorry, I meant the season of good will to all men. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sorry we don't celebrate Christmas, its just another day to us, we just like mince pies and custard!:thumbsup:

Sorry but to talk about improving your health before a SHTF situation by doing a sugar detox and then letting on that you're an out of season mince pie and custard addict (and you only actually meant picking the frosting off the top) struck me as bloody funny LW. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
A sugar detox means Zero sugar, it actually causes withdrawal symptoms such as headache:sad:, tiredness:sleepy: and irritability:mad: for up to a week and its difficult.

yes agreed, but we have an obesity crisis in this country because our "food" is laced with extra sugar, we have become-for the most part- a nation of high sugar consumers and its leading to a serious health crisis.
as for me and the wife consuming the odd mince pie is neither here nor there, as well you know:lol:

you are missing the point that i'm trying to make but that's normal from this forum!:lol:

missing the point you should be happy they are still on the same topic on this site lol:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm really not missing the point, my point was that there is a world of difference between a sugar detox and picking the sugar topping off seasonal junk food. As I said earlier in the thread, sugar of one sort or another is ubiquitous in our modern diet... No more bread, ketchup, baked beans if you're detoxing...the list of foods containing sugar just goes on and on (a bit like me :rolleyes:)
Far better just to eat what you like in moderation and save the celebration food for the appropriate occasion rather then two months early. The problem is that fatty, sugary Christmas foods seem to be on sale for three months of the year then as soon as that's over it flips straight into Easter eggs on the supermarket shelves. Each and every time of year seems to have its own dedicated pig-out so they all blend into one great big year long feast. No wonder the nation is getting fat.

all processed food seems to be high in sugar, the entire population now seems to be sugar addicts, if they remove the sugar they replace it with sweeteners which is even worse.
my parents used to say " moderation in everything" but people seem to pig out on this stuff.

We have a jar of raw sugar in the pantry, but I can't remember the last time any family member used any sugar. We do purchase canned fruit produced in Australia but only with natural fruit juice. It is more a matter of not overusing or not making sugar a regular part of your diet. I little bit does no harm, though as I say, we do not use sugar. We have ordered a Stevia plant for adding sweetener if needed, but mostly I like plain foods & plain deserts. No salt either!
Keith.

Back