• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tomahawks heads, loose or fixed?

Rich123

Slightly Talkative
I have a dilemma, so just asking for some advice really. Should I fix the head of my hawk for throwing, or leave it so it can be removed easily guys. The pros and cons please? Mine will only be used for throwing, not wood cutting.

Rich.

@Rich123

Hi Rich.

Found this .......any help to you mate?

headlock_2377

If you have thrown tomahawks enough, you know that it doesn’t take long for the head to loosen up on the handle, sometimes sliding all the way off. The heavier the tomahawk head, the more of an issue this is. A few of my ‘hawks seem to have a tight grip on the handle and don’t slip much, but even these will come loose if subjected to an under-rotation that causes the grip end of the handle to strike the target first. I have been testing a method that will lock the head on the handle much tighter than it was but any head will break loose, even with this method, if underrotated and the handle strikes first. What I do is simply take the head off and apply a thin squiggly line of hot-glue on the area of the handle where the head seats. I then slide the head back on and, with a hammer, drive the head on so it seats all the way back up the handle where it originally was. The hot glue forms an extremely tight gasket between the head and the handle greatly minimizing the amount of slipping the head will do. The best way to do this is to heat the head up in a toaster oven while the hot glue gun is warming. You want the tomahawk head hot enough to keep the glue soft while seating the head back on the handle. This way the glue fills in all the spaces between the head and handle creating a very tight fit. When the glue cools and hardens I trim off the excess with a razor knife.
headlock_23801

headlock_2384
Re-seat head all the way on the handle
In the picture above, the vice is not clamping the handle, just providing a solid surface for the head to rest on since you need to bang the handle pretty hard to re-seat it. Be careful because you will chip off the corner of your handle if you hit it on the edge. Try to hammer right in the middle or use another block of wood to protect the handle.

Willie, really kind of you my friend. I can buy a cheap glue gun from Amazon and give it a try. I've just had to send back one hawk that had a straight handle with a knob on the end. CRKT nice handle but badly designed for a hawk. I send it back to Hennie and it seems under the radar they know this problem exists with the company and are trying to sort it out. The knob was only 1/2'' from the end, so no room for any play? I'm told the best handles have a gradual taper for the last 6 inches, so you still have one or two inches of head left. But they are cheap and I expect THATS the reason. Thanks again buddy.
Rich.

Hi Rich.

I am pleased you found it, useful mate, and hope it does the job for you.
Be sure to let us know how you get on with it 👍

Willie.
Can you see the knob on the end of the hawk in that picture? Surly that should not be on good handles. I say that because the hawk head has no place to go over time, it should wear into the head over time I'm told?
That knob is not too close to the top, but I've seen some with as little as 1/2 inch so when you cut it back to fit the head it's even less. Should the good wood handles not just have a straight, gradual transition with no knob stop on the end, with about 2''of spare top for wear?

I've just brought a glue gun by the way, because I think the idea is excellent mate.

Rich.

Hi Rich.

I have little to no knowledge of Tomahawks or how to set them up, mate.
The information I posted was gleaned from the web 👍
I suppose like most things it's an individual choice as far as tweaking it to how you want it.........balance....length of the handle etc?

Just guessing here........would a copper band at the top of the handle help with the wear.....glue and pin it on?

When you find your happy medium put a couple of pictures up........interesting subject 👍

Back