• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Trail Food Recommendations for Bugging-Out.

Keith

Very Addicted
A NEW BEGINNING Resized.jpg

No matter what your mode of transport, you will still need to travel as light as you can. You never know when you may be forced to go a foot & carry all you have on your back. You may also have children with you, some can walk, other need to be carried. All in all it is going to be a long hard slog to get to where you are going.

What foods would you recommend someone carry under these conditions? Some fresh foods could be eaten in the first couple of days, but for the rest of the journey the foods need to be of a type that will keep for a long time. Hunting & trapping may not be an option whilst on the move, but a little foraging along the way is a good idea. Even so these foods will have to carry you though not only on your journey, but also sustain you at your destination. Remember, this may be in the middle of winter!
Keith.

My own list consists something like this:-

Good quality meal replacemet powder mix.
Oatcakes.
Honey.
Dried Fruit.
Nuts
Milk powder
energy gel sachets
Couple bags Haribos
Jar of Bovril
Whatever fresh food you are likely to have in the fridge that can be carried.
At the moment I also have about a kilo of Slanina, that would definitely go in despite the weight because it will keep without refridgeration.

All of the above is in my cupboards right now and none of it needs cooking (apart from Slanina)
They are all 'feel good' foods that will provide a balanced energy rich diet whilst on the go and you can mix and match to make different flavours.

Protein and greens aren't an issue, I store a lot of salt, sugar, stock cubes, herbs, spices, rice, lentils, oats etc all vac sealed in bags stored in screw top food grade plastic barrels. These all use the "best before" system instead of the "use by"
All cheap bulk foods. I don't really do much trail food beyond making some dried meat, flapjacks and a hot sweet drink.

Instant hot chocolate, best mood reviver there is :) and yes oatcakes, dried fruit and nuts, oats or muesli, instant soups for those that don't like hot chocolate. Not long term food but quick fixes.

My own list consists something like this:-

Good quality meal replacemet powder mix.
Oatcakes.
Honey.
Dried Fruit.
Nuts
Milk powder
energy gel sachets
Couple bags Haribos
Jar of Bovril
Whatever fresh food you are likely to have in the fridge that can be carried.
At the moment I also have about a kilo of Slanina, that would definitely go in despite the weight because it will keep without refridgeration.

All of the above is in my cupboards right now and none of it needs cooking (apart from Slanina)
They are all 'feel good' foods that will provide a balanced energy rich diet whilst on the go and you can mix and match to make different flavours.
I think the Bovril is a good addition, though I think I would choose OXO cubes.
Keith.

I think the Bovril is a good addition, though I think I would choose OXO cubes.
Keith.
You can get Bovril cubes as well, but I like the 'liquid' Bovril as it can be used as a spread as well as for making a drink or flavouring a hot meal. I'm a Marmite/Vegemite hater but do like a dollop of Bovril on toast(or oatcakes in this instance) so it adds another dimension to what you have to eat and offers more variety.
And then there's the Murayfield hot Bovril.;)

Some ration packs have tubes of yeast extract in them, its good stuff. Tubes of Primula cheese spread is not bad and goes well with Bannock bread.

Jam packed in a screw top plastic jar is a real treat.

Long life pita bread lasts well even after the pack has been opened.

Pasta is worth packing, macaroni packs smaller and cooks quickly as does rice.

Cup O Soups add flavour to rice and pasta as do stock cubes of your choice.

Hobnob biscuits are good as are the Tesco own label versions which are two thirds cheaper.

Just a few ideas to add to the list.

The yeast extract and the pitta bread are personal favourites Harry, I also like to carry a small tube of ghee in case I find something worth frying.

All of my "On the move" foods are a mix of wet & dry military rations purely for ease of use.

the yeast extract, whilst a favourite of mine hasn't been in ration packs for a fair while, possibly approaching ten years.

Whilst the yeast extract is unlikely to go off some of the other contents of said packs maybe we'll past their sell by date!

7-8 years then; it's not in the most recent iteration so the original comment about the age of the rest holds firm.

The problem with getting hold of rations (which we've all done/tried( is that every so often an item is found to have gone bad and that batch is recalled through the QM chain; with surplus rations you never find out.

That hasn't stopped me keeping all
my leftovers however but food (literally) for thought.

Back