• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Trail Foods. Scotch Eggs.

Keith

Very Addicted
I prefer dry foods because they last longer without going off in hot weather, but I will sometimes carry foods that I will be eating first that day. I think scotch egg would make an excellent trail food. These were I believe first made available to travelers in 1730 in England & became very popular. Do any of you make these at home?
Keith.

I have made Scotch Eggs in the past. They are nicer than shop bought ones ;)
I can believe it Bb, shop bought anything is rarely as good as home made these days. To be honest I do not recall ever having eaten a scotch egg, I must do something about that;)
Keith.

Yes, we do, from sausages from home grown pigs and breadcrumbs from home made bread. Delicious! The only thing is that we don't keep chickens so no home grown eggs - too many foxes after the animals and stoats after the eggs.

We also have fox issues. I have a couple of cage traps for the over curious ones. There has been a charity from Birmingham releasing urban foxes in our area. They have no idea what a cruel act that is, the poor bloody things are starving so they take to hanging around farms...of course I can't tolerate that.

PS, I love scotch eggs.

Urban foxes in the countryside? What are they thinking about? But then, a lot of townies think the countryside is just a big theme park.

Urban foxes in the countryside? What are they thinking about? But then, a lot of townies think the countryside is just a big theme park.

Hey! That was my line.:D It's my constant gripe about townies not realising that the countryside is a managed environment and it not being there solely for their benefit.

We make our own Scotch eggs. Both the traditional sausage variety and a veggie one using green Lentils. They are both delicious.

Hey! That was my line.:D It's my constant gripe about townies not realising that the countryside is a managed environment and it not being there solely for their benefit.
That's probably where l heard it first. May l adopt it too?

they'll soon find out differently when it isn't being managed post shtf and the nettles and brambles are up around their waists.

Scotch Eggs :) with Branston, Gerkins and Toms...lovely grub.

Scotch Eggs made with lentils...thats plain wrong on many levels.

Gherkins (sweet preferred) are fantastic IMHO

Lentils? great in some dishes, essential in a curry but given the choice of a lentil scotch egg and committing Seppuka I'd take the blade option ;)

A little extreme Harry, I'd settle for picking the lentils off and eating the egg if I was you.

Simmer for a few mins add a little onion/mushrooms in a pan and lightly fry in butter then add the cooked/drained lentils and the beaten egg. You can add this mix to a zip lock bag and simmer.

Back