• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Trangia burner service.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been slowly picking through my kit doing some maintenance and servicing in readiness for the Scotland trip 2019.
Gave the Trangia pot pans and carcass a good clean.

Had a good look at the burner and was shocked at the state of it :oopsy:

DSC03335.JPG

Dirty and stale Meths left inside.

DSC03336.JPG

Propper ashamed I was.
DSC03337.JPG

So.....off to the sink to give it a good wash and clean.
DSC03338.JPG

Surprising the amount of dirt and crud that came off/out of it.
I used a needle and went around the top edge cleaning all of the jets.
Removed the rubber ring from the lid cleaned it and applied some olive oil.

DSC03340.JPG

Oil applied

DSC03341.JPG

DSC03342.JPG

Added some clean and fresh Meths and lit the burner.

DSC03343.JPG

Result....a nice clean flame and all of the jets working as they should.........:thumbsup::)

@Madriverrob

Hi Rob.

I think it is one of the things we tend to take for granted.
When you get home from a trip away....you wash the pans and body as a matter of course.......but ignore the most important bit......the burner :D

All over the country, Trangia burners are frantically being dug out, and polished up by guilty owners now....me included:)

When done it is a thing of satisfying and simple beauty.........ok, looks good......:whistle:

Been slowly picking through my kit doing some maintenance and servicing in readiness for the Scotland trip 2019.
Gave the Trangia pot pans and carcass a good clean.

Had a good look at the burner and was shocked at the state of it :oopsy:

View attachment 15009

Dirty and stale Meths left inside.

View attachment 15010

Propper ashamed I was.View attachment 15011

So.....off to the sink to give it a good wash and clean.View attachment 15012

Surprising the amount of dirt and crud that came off/out of it.
I used a needle and went around the top edge cleaning all of the jets.
Removed the rubber ring from the lid cleaned it and applied some olive oil.

View attachment 15013

Oil applied

View attachment 15014

View attachment 15015

Added some clean and fresh Meths and lit the burner.

View attachment 15016

Result....a nice clean flame and all of the jets working as they should.........:thumbsup::)
My Trangia is over 20 years old Bill, no service,no cleaning and has never let me down. When you fill it just add 10 percent water ad you will get a much cleaner burn

@Joecole

The difference is Joe....mine gets used :p:p:p.....just kidding you Old Git :whistle::D

You have done very well using it for such a long period without servicing or cleaning.......do you think that is due to adding the 10% water to the fuel?
I have read that it works....but confess to not actually having tried it yet........I will give it a go :thumbsup:

@Joecole

The difference is Joe....mine gets used :p:p:p.....just kidding you Old Git :whistle::D

You have done very well using it for such a long period without servicing or cleaning.......do you think that is due to adding the 10% water to the fuel?
I have read that it works....but confess to not actually having tried it yet........I will give it a go :thumbsup:
The only maintenance I've ever done Bill is to clean the jets one time. the water addition gives a cleaner less smoky burn

I can remember doing this to my motorbike petrol during the rationing of the 70's....it used to run really well if you emulsified it well. If not it bunged the jets!!:crying:

Back