• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Traps & Supplies.

Keith

Very Addicted
After tshtf, one of the best methods of obtaining meat will be through trapping. To make this method even more successful, you need to set up a trap line. You can make a variety of traps depending on what quarry you are after, & this can include fish traps. For many traps you need nothing to make them except a hatchet/tomahawk & a knife. But snares work better if they are made of brass picture hanging wire, 7 strand is the best for small game. If you are after medium to large game, then you need good rope.
After shtf you will not be able to obtain brass picture hanging wire, so it is best to pick up some rolls next time you are doing some shopping. Brass wire is also good for making repairs & making leaders for fishing.
Keith.

This lower image shows what is known as a hare pipe. Used by poachers during the 18th & 19th centuries.

I have found over the years that my traps and snares are most effective in the hour before and after dusk or dawn. I restrict my trapping to those 4 hours in the day except for live capture traps like Larson traps and box traps.
My normal method is a "Fenn No.4" set into a shallow scraped depression in either a burrow or a box tunnel.

Offgrid hero

Slightly Addicted
What about the use of ferrets, you can catch a lot and it can be done at anytime of day, I've still got all my old purse nets ready to go if needed.

Ferreting is best just after dawn as well but for different reasons, early in the morning before people are out and about. Setting your purse nets is a quiet job that doesn't need some bobble hatted idiot or a horde of dogwalkers demanding to know who you are and what you're doing. I still keep ferrets but I don't often work them these days. Landowners can be a bit funny about ferreting for some reason. There is a chalet park a few miles away where the park warden is a keen amateur, so I can still go ferreting but I'm restricted to January- February while the park is closed.

Offgrid hero

Slightly Addicted
It is best done early but not essential I've bolted many a rabbit in the afternoon, but quietness is important.

Keith

Very Addicted
I have found over the years that my traps and snares are most effective in the hour before and after dusk or dawn. I restrict my trapping to those 4 hours in the day except for live capture traps like Larson traps and box traps.
My normal method is a "Fenn No.4" set into a shallow scraped depression in either a burrow or a box tunnel.
Correct. When I was running a trap line I set the traps before dusk & checked them again early next morning. But my snares don't strangle like the commercial lock snares.
Keith.

Using locking snares in the UK is illegal. all wire snares (commercially made or not) used in the UK must be free running. Twitch up snares are also illegal. The knowledge of snare triggers has become almost academic but I practice it anyway because twitch up snares are much more efficient post apocalypse.