• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
l_ravellers_with_a_knapsack_18th_century_1_REDUCED.jpg

Note that one of these travelers is carrying live chooks.
If you have to leave the city or even if you have to leave your home elsewhere to find safety in the countryside, then you will need to travel light. The lighter the foods & equipment you carry, the more you can carry & the easier it will be to get to where you are going.
Dried foods are the lightest foods, canned foods are the heaviest foods. Foods like cut oats, spaghetti, noodles, jerky, dried bread, ships biscuit, flour & dried vegetables etc are in my opinion the best to take with you. Even so you must make sure that some of the foods you carry can be eaten without the need to cook. It may not be safe to light a fire. Biscuits, bread, cheese, jerky, fruits, popcorn, are all good but go easy on the heavier foods such as cheese. Fruits can be dried to save weight.
Trail foods are foods you can eat along the trail to keep your strength up. Foods such as nuts, sunflower seeds, sultanas, currents & even a mix of these in a bag make an excellent trail food.

Can you think of any other inexpensive normal supermarket foods that you can add to this list?

Lidl do a large bag of mixed dried fruit which I think is about £1.30 or so a pack.
wife makes something we call a biscuit but its more like a cake mix, that would make good trail food.

Some good deals around on dried fruit and jerky. Nut it is fairly straight forward to a make if you have the time, and you also have the pleasure of knowing you are carrying stuff you have created yourself.

I tried some jerky from supermarkets but its far too spicy for my taste.

It does tend to be quite spicy, but I was able to some recently that was much more mild and, as a result, was better. I'll see if I can find it again and let you have the maker's details.

peanut butter is indeed a survival food, not sure about crackers they tend to go mouldy over time.

well that would save opening up the entire pack wouldn't it.
I prefer something a bit softer, the old teeth aren't up to hard stuff these days:lol: i'm currently stocking Jordan's Freusli bars, packs of 6 for £1 at Poundland.

Jerky is very simple to make and your £30 dehydrator will soon pay for itself.

If can get hold of army 'biscuits brown' grab them (biscuits fruit too), they last for years.

GORP is easy to mix at home

Its worth investing in a vacuum sealer also, helps with portion control and you can pack things like Ryvita crispbread and pita bread for trips.

Lidl do a large bag of mixed dried fruit which I think is about £1.30 or so a pack.
wife makes something we call a biscuit but its more like a cake mix, that would make good trail food.
That's the sort of thing, excellent choice.
Keith.

I found the same thing mate. I have always made my own jerky, but my wife brought some shop bought jerky home one time for me to try. I prefer my own.
Keith.

well that would save opening up the entire pack wouldn't it.
I prefer something a bit softer, the old teeth aren't up to hard stuff these days:lol: i'm currently stocking Jordan's Freusli bars, packs of 6 for £1 at Poundland.
I think musili bars are a great idea. We carry some when going wood cutting for morning break.
Keith.

Jerky is very simple to make and your £30 dehydrator will soon pay for itself.

If can get hold of army 'biscuits brown' grab them (biscuits fruit too), they last for years.

GORP is easy to mix at home

Its worth investing in a vacuum sealer also, helps with portion control and you can pack things like Ryvita crispbread and pita bread for trips.
Good idea Harry, so long as no one burns or discards any plastic wrapper after use!
Keith.

A like protein bars and nuts also carry a packet of oats with me. Dried banana is also good for an energy boost . Haven’t done as much homemade food as yet! Have a few recipes on the fridge lol. Must get round to making them.

Back