• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tree stump

Forgot the picture.
IMG_20220707_113939.jpg

Perhaps in future you could try burning the stump, it takes a while to dry it first but then it works beautifully to get rid of them without the back breaking work.
Hint, Remove the kerosene/paraffin can before setting fire to the stump if you think you might want to YouTube it 🤣

Last edited:
Good idea for a fresh stump but I cut this tree down seven years ago and most of the roots are soaking wet.

Good idea for a fresh stump but I cut this tree down seven years ago and most of the roots are soaking wet.
I’ve only tried it once on a big lime stump but it worked well. That stump was old and well set back on an inaccessible bank next to my drive. I would never have got a stump grinder up there. I just chainsawed a few cuts to make it like a Swedish torch.

I put a load of cross cuts to let water in and a pick axe and crow bar to split it. Got to service the chainsaw now to get it sharp and get the earth out 🙄
😳 digging holes with a chainsaw? 🤣🤣🤣 that will never do…
If you can’t get it to cut evenly afterwards you can bring the chain up and I’ll do it on the electric sharpener, then it will just need a gentle tickle with depth gauge on the rakers and running a file and guide over the cutting teeth to polish the cutting edges up a little once it’s back on the saw.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. I have an electric sharpener. As you know if you hit soil or stone it's usually a bad thing for the chain and the bar. A good clean and oil usually does the trick.

My wife heated up home baked apple turnovers for our morning tea. The Boy had half and I had a whole one plus his other half. 🤤

This was much appreciated as I have spent the morning splitting rocks. The Boy spent his morning asleep in his bed.

I'm am putting in a new road/track round the back of our garages and workshops to create a full turning circle of about 100m diameter on approach to our house. It will also serve as a fire break and creates access for an additional row of sheds or buildings as we need them.

I made a first few passes with tractor bucket then went to work with crow bar and pick before cleaning up with grader. The Boy slept through this activity but was first in line when my wife started dishing out the morning tea.

Not complainin'. Just saying. 😖

Alan

Apologies for this mis-post. It was meant to be a morning greeting...

I'm stumped on the stump. (post now moved for you ... Matt )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back