• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
Could a hiking trolley be the answer to carrying more essential supplies?
pilgrimage_trekking.jpg
5600817_orig.jpg

Attachments

• pilgrimage_trekking.jpg
    pilgrimage_trekking.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 172
It wouldn't be for me Keith, but I can see that a less mobile person might gain some valuable outside time through using one.

I can see it being useful on tracks or trails with low vegetation but on soft ground it will just sink in and in woodland it will get caught up on sticks and brambles and scrub.

I personally would be unhappy with one in my landscape, I'd rather carry less then have something like that affecting my Center of balance. On level roads or paths they would be great but I can't see them catching on in the mountains where I live.

I think any weight being dragged behind someone like that being more of a hindrance than a help.
I think a travois would be better.

In the UK a cart could useful, can be pulled by you or a bike of some kind, a bit like a Paulk.

Yup, I've seen similar for towing loads behind bikes...I've even seen someone towing a kayak.

I can see it being useful on tracks or trails with low vegetation but on soft ground it will just sink in and in woodland it will get caught up on sticks and brambles and scrub.
I agree that one would have to choose the best trail, but the image above on the left shows a trolley being used on very wet ground. I guess it depends on how much weight you are carrying.
Keith.

A must say LW may have a point. Am not keen on being harnessed to something that could potentially take me with it. That’s exactly what I thought when I seen the second picture. But for flat land it would work ....say someone like a long distance runner that needs more than a backpack...

On the other hand It’s practical! But Not for mountain expeditions

I don't want to be attached to something that could potentially drag me down.
now something I could drag but let go in times of danger might be a different thing, but I wonder if any of us could be carrying so much gear we would need one of those things?

The thing is would you want to pack your stuff into something you mite have to let go ?

even with a backpack there might be circumstances where you have to ditch it to survive.
I just don't like this set up because it could drag me down with it.

I actually think these things are a good idea - the design requires tweaking somewhat and yes its terrain dependent but if it allows one to travel the same distance and have the load bearing element reduced I see that as a positive.

I believe many of them also come with quick release elements.

My thoughts are that some form of trekking trolley would allow someone to carry an extra blanket, food, water & ammunition. Personally I don't see any real problems with such a trolley that can't be overcome. I shall certainly be constructing one & trying it out. As I get older I find it harder to carry the weight on my back, so I think such a trolley is a good option for me.
Keith.

Back