• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tripod material

Katty

Slightly Talkative
Hi, could you please help me? I have build my fire pit in backyard for lockdown and I would like to use it to prep food as well. I have build a tripod out of old metal wardrobe frame. It’s not stainless steel so just want to ask if this is suitable or should I look for other materials? I have attached photo, as you can see should be away fro no flames so I hope that’s good. Also regarding bbq rack and chains do they have to be stainless steel? Should I be ok as long as I don’t use aluminium or is there any other material I should be careful with? Thank you in advance for any help

Attachments

• 601111CC-6A38-4BB5-A96A-D36F1A453009.jpeg
    601111CC-6A38-4BB5-A96A-D36F1A453009.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 105
  • F726AF9E-A830-419D-BCA6-E2E459789A49.jpeg
    F726AF9E-A830-419D-BCA6-E2E459789A49.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 117
I would say the tripod you have made will be just fine, Katty. If you think about it, tripods of basic steel/metal were used by people for centuries before the advent of stainless steel. A wardrobe frame?...as long as the metal is thick enough not to corrode too quickly, because it will once heated up and left in the outside elements a few times, you should be ok. :thumbsup:

Just had a second thought...You can buy high heat resistant paint in a spray can...You could always spray your tripod, which will delay any corrosion.

paint.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a great idea! I don’t know why I didn’t think about ii... doh! :) thank you very much now I can ask friends to visit me in garden once we are allowed. I’m sooo looking forward to make potatoes in foil and make polish sausage on a stick. I have plenty of these wardrobe frame pieces so I can always replace if goes bad, I’m silly scavenger of anything made of metal wood or stone, like a squirrel with nuts. I’m finding hard to get rid of stuff that can be useful but I do find ways to use them. My neighbours collecting bricks for me as they know I will built something out of them 😂 thank you so much again. I can’t believe how expensive they sell these tripods on internet it seems ridiculous to cheap cost that you can make it yourself. And it’s light so it’s easy to carry it so I might take them on a trip once lockdown is finished :)

" I can’t believe how expensive they sell these tripods on internet it seems ridiculous to cheap cost that you can make it yourself. "...
There are always lot's of people who are easily fooled by the Salesmen, who say only expensive kit is any good. :lol:

I’m sure it will be fine 👍🏻 Your fire pit is looking good katty 👍🏻

also welcome to the forum😁 if you haven’t already could you post up in the welcome section please 👍🏻 Just allows everyone to say welcome 👍🏻

I'm always impressed by the way people re purpose and recycle things that would otherwise be considered to be waste.
Love your fire pit Katty, any more recycling ideas?

Just a couple of other points to note.
I'd say you should not post your mobile number (not sure if that was yours or the seller's though)
Also, looks like there may be some green pine branches at the bottom of the fire pit? These are likely to cause a lot of smoke. Better to use dry, untreated wood.

The tripod looks great with good height.

A little story. Several years ago i went , as we usually did , to Tewkesbury for the medieval festival. I'm a re-enactor and was camped next to the battlefield. We tend to stay up fairly late and i had decided to make a lamp to give us some light. This took the form of a lead bowl of wax suspended below a wooden tripod . The evening went along these lines..
"I'll light the lamp"
"Quite good that "
"Bright isn't it and seems to be getting brighter , certainly bigger flames"
"Getting quite big now , what type of wax did you use?"
"Er floor wax "i replied
"And you used rope to suspend it?"
" er , yes"
"Is it going to be ok?"
"It's fine " I said
"Oh crap the rope's on fire!"
At which point moltern burning floor wax made it's bid for freedom onto the dry stubble of Tewkesbury.
Wooden tripod was fine though.
To go back to the original question you could also heat the tripod up and rub oil onto the hot surface , that also helps stop corrosion.

I would say the tripod you have made will be just fine, Katty. If you think about it, tripods of basic steel/metal were used by people for centuries before the advent of stainless steel. A wardrobe frame?...as long as the metal is thick enough not to corrode too quickly, because it will once heated up and left in the outside elements a few times, you should be ok. :thumbsup:

Just had a second thought...You can buy high heat resistant paint in a spray can...You could always spray your tripod, which will delay any corrosion.

View attachment 32058
I fully endorse what you say sax

Back