• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Trips planned.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Anyone got a trip in the planning at the moment........or feeling the need to get out and about?
Any new kit to trial........or waiting to hit the button on something shiny and nice for the future?

For one reason or another, I've not been away for 5 or 6 weeks. I've been a bit spoilt the last year or two, managing to get away most months at least once so I shouldn't moan too much. Definitely feel the need to get out though.

I'd quite like to press the button to order one of the pulsar trail thermal sights but I'm going to have to wait until someone dies and leaves me a s**tload of Wonga....

I'd quite like to press the button to order one of the pulsar trail thermal sights but I'm going to have to wait until someone dies and leaves me a s**tload of Wonga....

If I can swing it in that situation, its a wood for me. The missus has ruled out moving to the sticks so the next best thing would be my own wood so I can go and live like a big ol' manchild. :lol:

If I can swing it in that situation, its a wood for me. The missus has ruled out moving to the sticks so the next best thing would be my own wood so I can go and live like a big ol' manchild. :lol:
I planted my own since i couldn't afford one strait away.... all it takes is planting a couple of thousand trees and a little patience. Now my good lady spends as much time as she can up there with me, its turned into a proper wilding project.

I planted my own since i couldn't afford one strait away.... all it takes is planting a couple of thousand trees and a little patience. Now my good lady spends as much time as she can up there with me, its turned into a proper wilding project.

Well done mate, I'm jealous. We talked about moving out and getting a bit of a small holding but when I started to push to make it happen, the missus wasn't so keen, liked the 'fantasy' but not so keen on the reality. Looks like its running away to the woods for me. With lashings of ginger beer natch. :lol:

Well done mate, I'm jealous. We talked about moving out and getting a bit of a small holding but when I started to push to make it happen, the missus wasn't so keen, liked the 'fantasy' but not so keen on the reality. Looks like its running away to the woods for me. With lashings of ginger beer natch. :lol:
Truthfully I would have to agree with your wife, small holding is hard work (and reduced living standards) for very little rewards. Forget holidays and long weekends away, the animals come first. Splendid isolation sounds wonderful but there are also times when it's just bloody inconvenient.

From your post above Mike I can see the pros and cons of having a Small Holding.
Not something you can just pack a bag and walk away from for a week.
Is there no chance of family or friends looking after the place if you felt like a break with the good lady?
The wood you have planted yourself sounds ideal........how long ago did you start it?

Truthfully I would have to agree with your wife, small holding is hard work (and reduced living standards) for very little rewards. Forget holidays and long weekends away, the animals come first. Splendid isolation sounds wonderful but there are also times when it's just bloody inconvenient.

All fair points, we would only have had chickens (which of course still need looking after) and veg. Small holding would maybe too grand a title for what we intended but I get (and appreciate) what you're saying. We don't really get holidays any more anyway due to dogs and poverty so not a massive deal breaker on that front.

Oh, and as for trips, last night the missus came up with the plan to walk a stretch of the Fife Coastal Path (about 8 or 9 miles) because she's a fat cow (her words) so while not exactly my idea of a trip out, its the best offer I've had for a while. Fortunately the first game of foozball isn't on until 14 o'clock so plenty time so will be back in plenty time. Huzzah !

Sounds nice Bam......a few chickens and maybe a couple of goats.....a few fruit trees and a descent veg patch....with a bit of land to spread yourself out and relax on :thumbsup:

The wood has been planted in three stages starting about 10 years ago, the most recent lot of the trees are just a couple of years old. In a way that works better for the wildlife because it gives a lot of diversity in a reasonably small area. We're also surrounded by mature woodland or river, the adjoining property is an SSSI.
I'm unsure about leaving family in charge of this place, I'd probably come back to a patch of scorched earth. šŸ˜³

Last edited:
Oh, and as for trips, last night the missus came up with the plan to walk a stretch of the Fife Coastal Path (about 8 or 9 miles) because she's a fat cow (her words) so while not exactly my idea of a trip out, its the best offer I've had for a while. Fortunately the first game of foozball isn't on until 14 o'clock so plenty time so will be back in plenty time. Huzzah !

Enjoy your walk Bam......just make sure you're not on your chin straps when you get back home......and fall asleep in front of the telly......missing the game :whistle::rofl:

Do you think you will harvest the trees at some point Mike.......or are they there to stay?
Some of the trees were planted with coppicing in mind. There are a large number of silver birch and downy birch that will actually benefit from it long term. There are a few maple that could be tapped at some time in the future as well as a lot of fruiting trees. Spread right through there is a sprinkling of oak that will eventually take over.

Nice to hear that there is some Oak being planted mate........just not happening on a larger scale these days :(

Sounds nice Bam......a few chickens and maybe a couple of goats.....a few fruit trees and a descent veg patch....with a bit of land to spread yourself out and relax on :thumbsup:

Aye, I fancy playing at it, we do the veg anyway and the chooks would be for eggs really as the missus is veggie, well pesky-tarian really and I'd happily supplement my scran with the odd rabbit or pigeon but alas, she's the unreasonable type. :(

Enjoy your walk Bam......just make sure you're not on your chin straps when you get back home......and fall asleep in front of the telly......missing the game :whistle::rofl:

:lol: I'll be sweating like a fat bloke at the end of it so will need to take on fluids, that should keep me awake. :)

Back