• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

True W.r.o.l - Current.

So justice would be emotional rather then impartial?
To an extent certainly, most people have a pretty good moral compass and ignore their moral intuition when committing an evil act. There are very few people who will killing in cold blood without their soul screaming out that its wrong but some listen to the indoctrination or self justification instead. Attempting to act not within the bounds of a legal but a moral code might lead some towards justice but it also allows for more mercy and acting based on circumstance than the blunt force that is law, a blunt force that's difficult to utilise with any kind of precision without the aid of modern police method. In the times of the Saxons unless their were witnesses people had a very limited ability to gather evidence on something so in a dispute or accusation someone's character was a major point in a trial.

That might work in a tiny population but I'm unconvinced that it could deliver impartial justice without the views of the person sitting in judgement dictating the outcome rather then a fair trial

That might work in a tiny population but I'm unconvinced that it could deliver impartial justice without the views of the person sitting in judgement dictating the outcome rather then a fair trial
Post SHTF the population controlled by any individual proto-government would be pretty small. When dealing with crime there are effectively three process you have to carry out, the first is detaining the suspect, likely this is done by the community with the aid of an appointed semi-professional as it will be difficult to support many people who don't spend at least some of their time producing material goods, namingly food.
The second process is to determine the truth of what happened, your most important tool is any evidence be that witness or physical evidence. But where it is merely the word of two people against each other or you only have circumstantial evidence then you should ask reliable people who know the accused to make a statement on their character.
Lastly you have to decided what to do about this. This is the point where I think the human element should be most often applied rather than a codified system, a judge could appointed based on a strong moral compass and general good standing to make some suggestions on what to do about what you have determined to be true and he community decides which of these is best.

A few things to consider is that all choices are a public affair even more so than in our society because its small enough that everyone cares about a case as there's a pretty good chance that most know both the victim and the accused. As a result all decisions come with a high level of accountability. Secondly consider that we already have a certain level of acknowledging the circumstantial nature of justice in our law as mitigating circumstances.

I do wonder what power a 22 Air rifle pellet would have at 50yds however.
from a 12 f/lbs UK legal non FAC air rifle about 10-11f/Lbs at point of impact.

Last edited:
From personal experience, a .22 pellet fired from a 12f/lbs air rifle can penetrate the skin and travel about 4 inches up an arm . That was a distance of around 30 to 40 yards

Just read this thread from the start..... :eek:

Its a pity it took a turn down Batshitcrazy Avenue. I admire the restraint of that PC Stout (I couldn't watch to the end) I'd have had that smug prick in a headlock, camera or not. :lol:

Sorry Bill but even Joe has my absolute respect...
I was going to make some jokes about "looking up to him" or "putting him on a pedestal " but that would be like kicking a man while he's down.

Back