• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

U.C.O. Candle conversion

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
I have two U.C.O. candles that I have used on a few occasions.
The idea of the candles appeals.....giving a warm ambient light in a tent or in a shelter........rather than the stark cold light of most LEDs.
I found using the candles a pain..... one knock and molten wax over the glass and internals of the unit.......a pain to clean.

There are some conversions advertised but unfortunately not available anymore......and none coming anytime soon apparently.

Looked on the net and these are being used by others.

Portable Mini Alcohol Lamp Burner Aluminum Case 10ml Lab Heating Equipment Gold 6905447035278 | eBay

So I sent off for a couple to try out.......very surprised and pleased with the quality of them.........excellent.
If anyone fancies ordering this also......the wick is stored in the box.
I found the easiest way to get the wick in the tiny hole was to roll it between my finger and thumb to compress it.

Have one in the U.C.O now burning away...........want to see how long it burns for.

DSC03353.JPG

Quite a nice bright and clean flame using Parrafin based Lamp Oil...........same as I use for the fire biscuits.

DSC03354.JPG

DSC03355.JPG

DSC03356.JPG

There are no leaks from the threads.....and the little breather hole does not appear to leak either......for anyone worried about leaks when storing.....there is a screw on cap for the top.....making it totally sealed.

So.......there it is U.C.O. Oil conversion completed and under test:thumbsup:

Well.......first burn complete........it managed one and a half hours :rofl::rolleyes:.........so with two 3 hrs and topping up......not the ideal :(

PLAN B me thinks :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Nice conversation bill. Shame it didn’t work out :thumbsdown:

Still a do like them lamps :thumbsup:

Just trying an old vape bottle tin........poked a hole through and filled it......working ok.....see how long THAT burns :whistle::rofl:

Back