• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

UCO Candle conversion project.

Just my bloody luck :rofl:

Just found these for sale......Bidding sale.

Might help someone looking to make the conversion??.........they don't appear to come up often!!

Apparently full.....but out of date.......got to empty them any way.

Bloody marvellous :rolleyes: What I thought were the Wicks I ordered turned up.
Opened the package.......3 lots of lighter FLINTS inside.........ohhhh how I laughed :(:(:sneaky::rofl:

The saga continues.

The Zippo Wicks turned up yesterday.....ordered from a different seller............ with an eye for detail this time :rolleyes:

Very disappointed with them.....did not burn at all well.
When fist lit they give off a nice flame but very quickly burn down offering a very small flame that is no good to man nor beast.
The internal of the crank nut is 5mm.......will be trying a thicker cotton wick and doing away with the brass rod insert so it will fit.

It may mean I have to drill out the internal of the crank bolt to accept a larger diameter piece of bar to accommodate the thicker wick.

Failing that......I will have to buy some more candles :rofl::rofl:

The saga continues.

The Zippo Wicks turned up yesterday.....ordered from a different seller............ with an eye for detail this time :rolleyes:

When fist lit they give off a nice flame but very quickly burn down offering a very small flame that is no good to man nor beast.
The internal of the crank nut is 5mm.......will be trying a thicker cotton wick and doing away with the brass rod insert so it will fit.

It may mean I have to drill out the internal of the crank bolt to accept a larger diameter piece of bar to accommodate the thicker wick.

Buy four.........................

The saga continues.

I am watching this thread with interest as as and when you sort it and when I can afford to I'm doing one, I want to know if I place my Mini0 thermo electric charger thing on top of it will it be hot enough to charge a power bank long and slow :)

I once had an oil lamp on my boat which took a 'String' rather than flat type wick. One strand of a Cotton (must be Cotton) deck mop bought in a cheap shop in Spain, did the trick. An old fashioned Deck Mop might keep you in wicks for a while.
Deck-mop.jpg

I normally buy various wicks from a hardware shop for pence.?
(Won't work when sailing offshore.....)

I am watching this thread with interest as as and when you sort it and when I can afford to I'm doing one, I want to know if I place my Mini0 thermo electric charger thing on top of it will it be hot enough to charge a power bank long and slow :)

For a small flame it does give off a fair bit of heat Al :thumbsup: ......might work.

That's what I was hoping, that the deflector plate will heat up enough to produce electricery ;) might improvise a candle and a bean tin while on lockdown :)

I normally buy various wicks from a hardware shop for pence.?

I had a spare roll of flat 3/4 inch stuff for all the cabin oil lamps , but one odd little lamp took a 'string' type...Typical, hunted everywhere ashore in Gib and Spain without success. Found a cotton mop in a Chinese Emporium in Torrevieja, so had to resort to plucking it... :lol:

Here's some pics of the progress on mine. The man on YouTube is right, the hardest bit is getting the bits out of the can.
I decided not to use crank screws but make my own bits from brass bar. Also I noted the comment about not transporting it with oil in as it would leak out. I have made a screw on cover to see if that will allow transport without leaking. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory.
IMG_20200508_142539.jpg
IMG_20200508_142532.jpg
IMG_20200508_142525.jpg
IMG_20200508_142456.jpg
IMG_20200508_142443.jpg
IMG_20200508_142424.jpg
IMG_20200508_142714.jpg

Nice tidy work there @divebuddy ........... and some great turning work too :thumbsup:
I have a plan B in mind for the wick holder.....will post up when I get it done.
Did not find the Zippo wicks worked very well.....what are you using and how do they fair?

Nice job :thumbsup:

Fun project 👍🏻 Might add this to my growing list of things to try.

Back