• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

UCO Candle conversion project.

AT LONG LAST!!.....The 5mm cotton wick has turned up.

As I said above....my intention was to do away with the Brass Tube insert that the smaller wick passed through......and to thread the new 5mm wick directly through the 5mm crank screw centre.

A bit of a fiddle.... But goy it through.

IMG_20200513_132458.jpg

After screwing the nut back in..... I left the wick for 10 minutes to soak up the lamp oil.

Lit the wick and closed the glass.
Left it burning for 30 minutes and all was well.
A different fuel may burn brighter as the flame was very orange.

BUT...... The new wick is far better than the Zippo ones in the origanal build.

IMG_20200513_133057.jpg

So there it is.... Jobs a good'un.

At the risk of being boring I have made yet another modification. I thought the reason it went out with lamp oil was that no air could get into the canister as the oil wicked out. So I have drilled a 1mm hole through the wick holder body. Will report back when tested.
IMG_20200516_160026.jpg

At last.....the bits I ordered for the further alterations to the conversion have arrived.
I had to loose some of the width of the mouthpiece to enable it to fit snugly....managed to keep the O ring.
The mouth piece will pullout to enable wick adjustment and easy filling.
Will also lift the flame higher in the globe.

Still trying to get hold of the Liquid metal to secure everything in place.

Busy with my boys today.....will update later on.

IMG_20200519_101546.jpg
IMG_20200519_101937.jpg

At last.....the bits I ordered for the further alterations to the conversion have arrived.
I had to loose some of the width of the mouthpiece to enable it to fit snugly....managed to keep the O ring.
The mouth piece will pullout to enable wick adjustment and easy filling.
Will also lift the flame higher in the globe.

Still trying to get hold of the Liquid metal to secure everything in place.

Busy with my boys today.....will update later on.

View attachment 21625

Coming along nicely bill👍🏻

Been a faff Mark......but getting there :thumbsup:

I have actually bought 2 of the Robens Snowdon gas candles now.....but if these others workout.....be nice to have a few on the go :rofl:

Don't want to celebrate too soon but I have now got indoor pure lamp oil instead of the citronella lantern oil
IMG_20200522_113158.jpg
IMG_20200522_113136.jpg
. This appears to be burning cleaner and brighter. Been running an hour now so we will see how it goes.

I looked at those Annie, but the size makes me wonder whether they hold enough fuel to burn any longer than a big Tea Light candle. I await your scientific testing report...IE: fill it up and set fire to it....:lol:

I looked at those Annie, but the size makes me wonder whether they hold enough fuel to burn any longer than a big Tea Light candle. I await your scientific testing report...IE: fill it up and set fire to it....:lol:
Tea Lights can do 10-12 hrs if you buy the right ones...............

Reactions: Bam
I just buy the cheap ones from the Supermarket which last ...2-3 hours ? Or occasionally, in Winter, I get the bigger ones 6-7 mm across which last..? not sure, 6-7 hours+ probably.

Reactions: Bam
I just buy the cheap ones from the Supermarket which last ...2-3 hours ? Or occasionally, in Winter, I get the bigger ones 6-7 mm across which last..? not sure, 6-7 hours+ probably.

I still have a large stash of them but don't have a need now that the missus isn't having long soaks surrounded by 30 of the buggers. They'll not go off though. I tend to go for electrical lighting when away now, take a power bank (or two, or three...) and you can keep your illumination going for a long while.

I like power banks too. The one I have lights the tent, charges the phone and will also do my tablet. It keeps things going for about five days.
But I still like these candle lanterns😁

Candles and lanterns are definitely more atmospheric but when you're carrying everything on your back it makes life easier to have the powerbank(s) and lecky lights.

Candles and lanterns are definitely more atmospheric but when you're carrying everything on your back it makes life easier to have the powerbank(s) and lecky lights.

Most of my camping is out the back of the car these days @Bam ........thats what I have an empty wallet..... And sooooo much crap 🤭 :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Back