• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

US walkie-talkies in the UK

Jim Mos

Quite Talkative
Ok guys and gals, I'm off to the US in the next few months and it was suggested that instead of using mobile phones to find each other when out there I get a set of walkie-talkies. I was told that you can't use them in the UK. Does anybody know why they are not permitted for use in the UK?

If ther not permitted for use in the uk its probably Because there free to use and non taxable :D

Enjoy your hol:thumbsup:

Different countries around the world have set in law which frequencies walkie talkies are allowed to use, the USA use some frequencies that are not allowed in the UK. There are also different regulations on the broadcast power of the devices, the USA often use higher powers than are allowed here.

Different countries around the world have set in law which frequencies walkie talkies are allowed to use, the USA use some frequencies that are not allowed in the UK. There are also different regulations on the broadcast power of the devices, the USA often use higher powers than are allowed here.
Ok thats what I thought. Might still get a set though. Could be able to pick up channels I'm not meant to. Good for listening.

I believe the difficulties come from the way AM walkie talkies transmissions use or bleed over onto some adjacent frequencies covered by geographic licences. Our airwaves are much more crowded then the US so we need to exercise a lot of curtesy and common sense here. We are only allowed up to 0.5w VHF transmitters without a licence but obtaining a simple licence is easy and cheap allowing you a 5w VHF-UHF transmitter. This may not sound much but with the right ariel you can transmit all over the hemisphere.

Think I've read that some of the permitted US frequencies clash with those reserved for the emergency services, even if they're not using them anymore.

Geographic licences are in effect owned by a company or organisation. Certain frequencies are also restricted because they interfere with civil authority's radio and military early warning systems.

Ok thats what I thought. Might still get a set though. Could be able to pick up channels I'm not meant to. Good for listening.
You can pick up one of those old multi band monitoring radios for a song, they will pick up AM but I'm guessing that most of the interesting stuff would be digital.

Back