• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Useful & Informative Traditional Woodworking Site

He’s from Edale in the Peak District and where they hold Spoonfest . Before I was into spoons I remember walking past his workshop whilst he was carving outside , never even stopped ! 😱

Robin wood is a king amongst spoon carvers , his daughter carves too.

I know a few for the "she was only the fishmongers daughter......" type thing but I can't think of any for a spoon carvers daughter. Answers on a postcard please...

Apols for going off piste. ;)

Spot on mate 👍 Am really looking forward to giving my carving knife a go. Got some nice bits of wood drying in my workshop :)

Something like this....

40C10CC4-0315-4BF2-B79E-26E752521363.jpeg

Are the tools they offer made in Britain or only sharpened in Britain?

I do not understand it.

(I slowly become tired about Asian stuff.)

Are the tools they offer made in Britain or only sharpened in Britain?

I do not understand it.

(I slowly become tired about Asian stuff.)

Only 'ground in Britain' as far as I can ascertain. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're perfectly capable tools, but it still sticks in the the throat a bit.

I myself have hunted far and wide for any tool makers still producing axes in Britain, and besides a few individual (and very pricey) blacksmiths, there seems to be nothing. A real shame, this country used to produce a huge number of good quality axes, in a variety of different patterns that were unique to Britain, designs that were perfected over centuries of trial and error and practical use. All that history, heritage and knowledge chucked out of the window in favour of the Far-Eastern crap we get now. It's called 'progress' apparently....

Well look at that, not even lunchtime yet, and already I'm off on a rant :D

Britain doesn't produce axes?!?!
That's really incredible!

It became everywhere in Europe really complicated to buy national production.
And if you find it and compare the price it's most times only a bit more expensive but has a better quality.

In my opinion that's slowly really a problem, and the client really should think about, what he is doing.

In Germany only BISON and OCHSENKOPF produce Axes, so far I am informed, but it's not so easy to find them in the shops.

It looks like as if the big chains who attack the independent serious small tool shops, attack the national production too.

In my opinion, it is really time to wake up.

Nothing against Fiskars or Gränsfors Bruk, even nothing against Silky saws. That is high quality stuff, seriously made from serious people.
But we really should think about to boycott the production and the trading chaines, who try to sell us that rubbish, made in bad quality every where in the world.

May be, that we don't need currently the high quality tool. But as we see in the example with British axes: The people, who produce the good stuff need us as clients to survive!

Back