• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Using An Axe Or Axemanship.

Not bad for an old bloke Keith.
I tend to use a 6Lbs maul for splitting and either a forest axe or felling axe from eithe side of a log when parting up felled timber because of a shoulder injury
I work with oak a great deal which is best cut into rounds and split the same day it's felled because it just gets harder as it dries.
Most of the time I use chainsaws and an auger log splitter called a hydrocrack mounted on the back of the tractor but I've been making the effort to use a bow saw and axe whenever it's practical.

Not to shabby with the axe old boy lol. Good exercise to. It’s an important skill to learn especially if one lives for the outdoors or is a homesteader

Nice video Keith :thumbsup:

Not bad for an old bloke Keith.
I tend to use a 6Lbs maul for splitting and either a forest axe or felling axe from eithe side of a log when parting up felled timber because of a shoulder injury
I work with oak a great deal which is best cut into rounds and split the same day it's felled because it just gets harder as it dries.
Most of the time I use chainsaws and an auger log splitter called a hydrocrack mounted on the back of the tractor but I've been making the effort to use a bow saw and axe whenever it's practical.
Yes I have split a lot of rails in my time using wedges & a sledge hammer.
Keith.

Yup, I do that as well but I don't often need to, rather then rails I might be making fence pales or droppers to space fence wire. It's also the precursor to trimming something into better shape to be used as a beam, using an adze or side axe.

Back