• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Value for Money?

Having worked for a firm that did maintenance on mod properties and having a mate who worked for a different firm supplying pressings for both civilian and military lorries there's what i should call the Baytree theory which states that any firm will attempt to charge as high a price as they can get away with an will inevitability end up ripping off the government and thus of course the tax payer...
I think you’ve nailed it pal, I’d go one step further and say that its a case of - ‘how much can we get those daft Brits to pay for this?’
In fact I think that somewhere there is a ‘gullibility list’ and we’re top of it! 🤣☹️😬

I once nearly got filled in at the gym when some locals (south Manchester) were complaining about the closure of BAE Woodford (the hone of the Lancaster) saying it was a disgrace and the workers had been let down. I pointed out that the Lancaster was probably the last thing they delivered vaguely on time and mostly working.

😂 brilliant.

Landrover we’re a case in point who treated the MOD as a cash cow; it was the costings of the Wolf LR which basically forced the MOD to at least try and reform how they managed procurement.

My Land Rover treats me as a cash cow. ☹️

Ystranc , at the risk of taking the thread way off expensive bits of clobber , what do you think of the television attempts at Pratchett ? The sky (?) versions such as Going Postal and the Hogfather seem pretty decent to me. The recent BBC series The Watch , while i enjoyed it , had a few problems i thought. Vimes seemed too much of an alcoholic , Angua in human form i thought seemed too grimy and not voluptuous enough and i can't see why the patrician was played by an actress.
Didn’t watch them. 😞 sorry.

I think you’ve nailed it pal, I’d go one step further and say that its a case of - ‘how much can we get those daft Brits to pay for this?’
In fact I think that somewhere there is a ‘gullibility list’ and we’re top of it! 🤣☹️😬
I mentioned I worked for a firm who did maintainence on mod properties. I was told a story of the window handle. Apparently a handle broke and an order was sent to the firm. They removed the handle and swopped it for one from another window. Course that meant a short while later there was another order for a window with a broken handle. So the process was repeated and i was told the handle was "replaced" four or five times before an actual new handle was brought.
I find it very irritating when the media go on about people on the dole taking money fraudulently but ignore the much wider ripping off that business does.

Imagine being so minted that you could always afford the so-called Rolls Royce of everything -

and then some bloke with a budget item out performs you? 😆

I have seen it happen on occasions.
This is true especially when airguns are involved. A friend bought a rolls Royce of airguns a steyr in PCP. I have an AirArms TX200 Springer and I out classed him in competition. It's like I said it's not the gun it's the nut behind the butt.

Government and civil service contests seem open to abuse … the likes of Capita , G4S , Sodexo et al seem to have a monopoly on the bidding process then consistently fail to deliver on budget or quality … they then never seem to be penalised and win more contracts …

Couldn’t resist bumping this -

One cuts pizza, one……………cuts pizza. 🤔

14AFBFC4-411E-4B26-A0C9-DA6F849DFDD6.jpeg 3BBD897F-5A57-45C1-AD20-E3D49C37DDCF.jpeg

Government and civil service contests seem open to abuse … the likes of Capita , G4S , Sodexo et al seem to have a monopoly on the bidding process then consistently fail to deliver on budget or quality … they then never seem to be penalised and win more contracts …
The problem is often to bid for government contracts the company has to fulfil certain conditions (size, accounting process, IT security accreditation etc) that only a set number of companies can attain and therefore it appears to be a closed shop.

There’s no point in other companies attempting to bid as it costs a fortune to get to the standards required.

The problem is often to bid for government contracts the company has to fulfil certain conditions (size, accounting process, IT security accreditation etc) that only a set number of companies can attain and therefore it appears to be a closed shop.

There’s no point in other companies attempting to bid as it costs a fortune to get to the standards required.

Long gone are the days of a caretaker in a brown dust coat with a small carry-all type toolbox and a stepladder who could complete 90% of the maintenance in these large institutions. Changing locks, window catches and lightbulbs is hardly rocket science.

Back