• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Vegetarian Survival Skills

I'm a semi vegetarian as I still eat fish,get in contact with Leon at wildwood bushcraft I'll bet he could sort something out for you he's a real good guy and reall knows his stuff. I've been on a few of his courses and I highly recommend them he's based up near mallaig.
I have been vegi for a while back in my student days, your protein can be sourced from beans and pulses which can be kept dry for years...(no such thing as vegi winter famine.) Barley, cracked wheat, potatoes, etc provide carbs. Cabbage, kale, leeks provide fibre (slow release carbs) along with essential vitamins and minerals, yeast extract can help replace some of the B vitamins that you would otherwise get from red meat. Not one mention of salad or rabbit food.
It all gets a little more difficult when you need to achieve a balanced diet from foraging though. Even once you knew where all the resources are in your area you'd still be doing a lot of miles to collect them.

Vegetarians...Vegans... against the laws of nature..............................................EAT MEAT with your bowl of pulses; fry your bacon and sausages in lard and if you need some greens then wilt nettles in the lard and top with fried eggs.

Vegetarians...Vegans... against the laws of nature..............................................EAT MEAT with your bowl of pulses; fry your bacon and sausages in lard and if you need some greens then wilt nettles in the lard and top with fried eggs.
I really wish I could like that more than once! Couldn’t have put it better myself :D

I guess you're at least half joking but I don't get the anti veggie stuff. I get the anti militant veggie/vegan stuff, I'm not a fan of militant.... anything.

I'm probably not on the shortlist to win the coveted 'Most PC guy of the year' award but being married to a veggie (well pescatarian) I have no issue with folk eating what suits them and I find it pretty easy to not eat meat some days (today in fact, had a bit of tuna for my scran the night). People seem to get bent out of shape about the label of 'veggie', give them macaroni cheese and chips and they're generally happy enough. :lol:

I make my own dehydrated meals to take hill walking and they tend to be veggie because they last longer without the fat, Quorn mince chilli or bolognese being my 'go to' because I'll make a wok full at a time and portion them out, last for years too.

I'glibly' say I could be a veggie any day of the week, just not every day. Its horses for courses, my missus was losing her shit at the news about the Vegan January thing, she could quite easily do it if she wanted to, but she hates the whole 'look at me' aspect of it. We're lucky in the West that we can get so nippy and holier than thou about our scran, plenty parts of the world just can't be as fussy as us.

Hi I'm new :)

Seaweed... I've read that some species are pretty much nutritionally complete, but the bucket load of iodine that comes along with it could be an issue?

Hello Smurf, another bloody heathen on the forum, pull a log up to the fire and tell us about yourself

I personally haven't anything against vegetarians. I usually invite them to a steak house and give them both salads and the potatoes...

;0)

I met several vegan living people in the last years, and I think, that they all had cold in over heated rooms. Something doesn't work how they think.

In my opinion the vegans are the radical part of the veggies, and that shouldn't be supported by normal thinking people.

I think to live like this is unhealthy.
And I can't see the point why we shouldn't drink milk or eat eggs from the organic food shop.

My brother is an organic farmer. I steal the eggs from the chickens, but we are friends, the chickens and me. They come to me and want to sit on my arm.
They are used to it. And the cow has nothing against to give the milk to the farmer.

I can understand, if people don't want to eat animals. I love our sheep, I love our dogs and cats and goats and chickens. I even loved some rabbits I had in my youth and rats who lived with me in my garden house and slept in my sleeping bag.

I even tried to become friends with mice and wild rats in my garden and was successful with it. I have in the garden since years relatively domesticated wild foxes, a racoon and wild birds too of course.
And all them I wouldn't like to eat, because I know them personally. We are friends.

But sorry, to eat an egg or a cheese is really something else! People start to make a religion of it, and not the most intelligent in the world, I think.

It becomes chocolate fondue.

You can dipp pieces of fruits in it, fresh or dried, or biscuits and what ever you want to.

Far better than bean stew or fish and chips or what ever you have over there.

In Germany we totally stopped eating Sauerkraut. Now a days we usually eat chocolate fondue. In the morning, mid day, for tea time (when we drink hot chocolate with it, instead of tea) and in the evening.

It becomes chocolate fondue.

You can dipp pieces of fruits in it, fresh or dried, or biscuits and what ever you want to.

Far better than bean stew or fish and chips or what ever you have over there.

In Germany we totally stopped eating Sauerkraut. Now a days we usually eat chocolate fondue. In the morning, mid day for tea time (when we drink hot chocolate with it, instead of tea) and in the evening.
Hot chocolate just before you climb into your bivi for the night means sweet dreams

The thing is when I was working in engineering many moons ago I had the privilege of being sent to do work in a couple of poultry and meat process plants that turned me off big style to mass produced meat.Im a shooter and have shot wild game but only what I knew would be eaten by friends,what makes me laugh are the people who say shooting is cruel and then tuck in to processed crap.This year I'm planning to do my dsc1 and when I'm privileged enough to take a deer I will not be a vegetarian any more but that's the only meat I'll eat.What cracks me up is the"but our teeth are designed for meat" I say yeah and our brain is capable of choice.

Ok, we didn't totally stopp eating it.

;0)

Aquilisdad, to eat only wild animals and those from organic farms I think is the ethic most correctly way.

And wild meat is cheap too!

In Germany hunters have big problems to sell it. Most people want to buy only a few special parts of the animals.

Just to clarify, I'm not veggie these days, it would be bloody hypocritical of me because I live on a smallholding where animals are raised as well as shoot and trap but if someone's life choice includes restricting their diet or faddy foods that is up to them.
These days I almost exclusively eat wild or home produced meat or poultry and I will cheerfully swear that it is better than much of the shop bought produce that is available. I probably eat much less meat than most British people but it is of a much better quality and I get to enjoy the satisfaction of hunting for my own food.
I am also planning to do my deer control certificates soon but in my case it is more to do with wild boar. (dont get me started on wild boar)

Last edited:
The thing is when I was working in engineering many moons ago I had the privilege of being sent to do work in a couple of poultry and meat process plants that turned me off big style to mass produced meat.Im a shooter and have shot wild game but only what I knew would be eaten by friends,what makes me laugh are the people who say shooting is cruel and then tuck in to processed crap.This year I'm planning to do my dsc1 and when I'm privileged enough to take a deer I will not be a vegetarian any more but that's the only meat I'll eat.What cracks me up is the"but our teeth are designed for meat" I say yeah and our brain is capable of choice.

Part of the reason my missus went veggie was working in a meat processing plant, she saw what went into the sausages etc. Its a lot easier to be a veggie/vegan than it was and a lot of the stuff is alright. Don't get me wrong, if you're craving steak there's no substitute but especially for camping, the lack of meat can give you a bit more time before it goes off.

Just to clarify, I'm not veggie these days, it would be bloody hypocritical of me because I live on a smallholding where animals are raised as well as shoot and trap but if someone's life choice includes restricting their diet or faddy foods that is up to them.
These days I almost exclusively eat wild or home produced meat or poultry and I will cheerfully swear that it is better than much of the shop bought produce that is available. I probably eat much less meat than most British people but it is of a much better quality and I get to enjoy the satisfaction of hunting for my own food.
I am also planning to do my deer control certificates soon but in my case it is more to do with wild boar. (dont get me started on wild boar)
These days shop bought chicken is so bland, give me a wild pigeon or a rabbit every time

Hi I'm new :)

Seaweed... I've read that some species are pretty much nutritionally complete, but the bucket load of iodine that comes along with it could be an issue?

Add to that roots and lichen, most stuff needs to be boiled into a goo tho for your body to be able to make use of all the nutrients.

And yes, while some plants are edible as is - due to the small amounts of toxins they might have - and since one would need to eat massive amounts of "insert edible plant here" to get enough energy; it could end up damaging your kidneys or liver in the long run.

The quality of meat changed over the years mainly, because the races changed.

If you buy today a chicken in a supermarket, it is large as an adult bird, but it is a child.

That industry became totally crazy somehow.

Once I had some chickens of a modern race. When they became adult, they weren't able to climb in the evening over a 15 cm high doorstep!
Simply to fat.

The other chickens from older races who got the same food where running around them in the garden, even flying easily in the trees.

It was really sad to watch. Like a very fat child sitting on a playing ground with really sporty and healthy children around who play, and the fat one is to fat to play with.

And that you can taste, if you buy them in the supermarket. That new races are somehow genetically ill.

They couldn't survive in the wilderness.
The old races can without any problems, if there is enough food.

That is the reason, why it is necessary to support farmers who hold races who are dying out.

If we do not buy that more expensive meat, what has the old taste, the better quality, in a couple of years the healthy races will dye out.

That is currently really dangerous.
If you live outside, you should ask the organic farmers who works with old races, go there and buy it! They have to be surched and supported by you!

They need you, and they need you now!

Who lives in the cities can ask in the organic food shop for out dying races.

Back