• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Vegetarian Survival Skills

50 isn't bad, you can still do the things that you want to, you just take that bit longer to do them. The trade off is that you're more comfortable in your own skin and you just know a lot more 'stuff'. I'm probably more content at 50 than I was at 20 or 30, not that I wasn't happy then. I'll take 50 every time. šŸ‘

Comforting words bam...a donā€™t feel so bad now ;) A suppose I do have another 10 year for preparation. I may go total vegā€™y after all:D

16obac.jpg

I think it depends very much on how youā€™ve spent the 50 years!

As a newly 47 year old infantry officer Iā€™ve abused my body with booze, impact and heavy weights for 20 years and to say itā€™s creaking is an understatement!

None of which are relative to being a veggi!

I think it depends very much on how youā€™ve spent the 50 years!

As a newly 47 year old infantry officer Iā€™ve abused my body with booze, impact and heavy weights for 20 years and to say itā€™s creaking is an understatement!

None of which are relative to being a veggi!

Got a mate who did the whole Infantry thing, all the way through to WO1 and then QM. He's got a few problems with his joints, he's in his 60's now right enough but that stuff takes its toll.

Vaguely taking it sort of back on topic (with a tailwind and a list to starboard) he's not a big meat eater, loves his fish and I've got him into paneer. I've explained Smurf's 'flexitarian' approach which he gets.

Not sure he could rustle up a veggie smorgasbord in the wilds right enough...... :whistle:

Truthfully, I get ladies propositioning me more often these days than I ever did when I was in my 30's though I put that down to my dogs being babe magnets....

Through poverty I'm rarely in the pub but up until 5 years ago I was a 'frequent flyer' and pleasantly surprised when I was chatted up. Being 'no stranger to the burger van' I'm not exactly eye candy, guess they must have seen the 'inner beauty'. šŸ˜Ž

Saying that..... we weren't talking beauty queens showing an interest... :(

Totally possible that without meat, sex, drugs and Rock n' Roll but enough sleep, salat, fresh air and clear water I would feel this 10 years younger.

My point is only, that all my healthy living ancestors and uncles became round about 65 years old, but aunt Betty became 98.

And I guess because she was champion in sex, drugs and Rock n'Roll!
No, in this case probably more Charleston, that was in fashion in the twenties in Berlin.

After beeing 60 years old she simply stood how she was. Like we know it from the animals in the alcohol glasses in the nature science museum or well smoked bacon.

With 75 she moved in a home for old people in a quiet area. With 80 she moved back to the city centre, because she missed the pubs. And continued drinking and smoking excessively until she died with nearly 99.

As you see, that was everything else than veggy, but a really good working survival strategie...

Well am more than curious about this. Am thinking on trying veg only...for a week. Monday through to Monday and see if it has any noticeable changes. Probably wonā€™t be any great differences but defo worth a see šŸ‘šŸ»

Well am more than curious about this. Am thinking on trying veg only...for a week. Monday through to Monday and see if it has any noticeable changes. Probably wonā€™t be any great differences but defo worth a see šŸ‘šŸ»

As I said up the thread, I find it easy not to eat meat everyday, by accident I ate meat tonight as we were running late so defrosted stuff (missus had lentil bolognese and I had beef stew) but I had a roll with an egg and a couple hash browns for breakfast, a baked tattie with coleslaw for lunch and was expecting to make a tomato ragu to have with pasta and loads of veg for dinner but it changed. Give it a go, there's so much decent veggie stuff out there now, even some of the sausages are 'ok', for me not a patch on a proper cumberland but better than the basic cheap banger. I'm not going to bullshit you, if you're in the mood for a steak there's no substitute but if you eat food with plenty flavours then a lot of the time the meat is secondary anyway, especially stuff like chicken or pork. Personally, even when cooking for myself I've used Quorn mince for chilli's and bolognese's, its even alright in a mince and ingin' pie, I was shocked at that one. The breakfast patties are surprisingly good too, have a play and see what you think, oh Linda McCartney's sausage rolls are more of a legacy to the world than her music, put it that way, for me they taste as good as 'proper' sausage rolls. Her mozzarella burgers are bloody good too.

it wonā€™t be easy for me @Bam ...a love red meat. Not big on pork or chicken and av never really been a big fish man ether. So doing without them wonā€™t be a problem. Itā€™s the red meat lol. Still I do have to change my eating habits. Iā€™ve just explained it to Mrs Ark that am trying veg only as of next Monday. Plenty of notice for her to change the menu ;)

If I go through with it (most likely I will) then I will start a new thread so yous can all read about my suffering :D

Reactions: Bam
it wonā€™t be easy for me @Bam ...a love red meat. Not big on pork or chicken and av never really been a big fish man ether. So doing without them wonā€™t be a problem. Itā€™s the red meat lol. Still I do have to change my eating habits. Iā€™ve just explained it to Mrs Ark that am trying veg only as of next Monday. Plenty of notice for her to change the menu ;)

If I go through with it (most likely I will) then I will start a new thread so yous can all read about my suffering :D

We're all different but I'll be interested to see how you go. I've only been (sort of) proper veggie when I was at sea sometimes (and only when there were REAL veggies), when at home I've always been pretty flexible. My missus isn't nippy about it and doesn't even describe herself as a veggie, especially now that she eats fish. I think a lot of it is habit, we're used to eating meat so try and swap some of the Quorn stuff in. If you're a mince and tatties boy you'll struggle but if you like food with 'sauces' then the sauces make the meal. There's pies and burgery things you can swap in, I believe there's even veggie chorizo now although I can't vouch for that one.

Looking forward to the thread.

It would be fish that I missed most but since I also shoot I also tend to eat a lot of pheasant, pigeon and rabbit.

Reactions: Bam
My nephew is strictly veg. Heathy wee chap :D ref the mince and tatties boy. Yup I certainly am lol. Worth a punt though

It would be fish that I missed most but since I also shoot I also tend to eat a lot of pheasant, pigeon and rabbit.

Must be a primal thing ystranc. meat is a staple in this house. Only had pheasant once. Little strong but really nice. Had rabbit twice. Charcoaled the first one so it didnā€™t taste great then my dad made rabbit stew. That was nice only thing was he made it with red sauce rather than the darker sauce you would relate to beef or lamb. As a said am not a big fish man but I do like smokies and munk fish. Also love lobster and crab with steak lol. A donā€™t mind brown trout but I only eat that if I canā€™t put it back. Am getting hungry now lol.

I also love shell fish....mussels, crab, oysters...all of them.
Like Bam there are also days when I only eat veg but I draw the line at Quorn, it gives me gas. I don't really see the point in pretend meat.

Mite give the quorn a go. Just for the ā€œIā€™ve tried itā€ factor.....never know I could enjoy it

Yup shellfish is goā€™ohā€™od lol . Surf and turf is amazing.
B8A466AF-EF57-4543-B683-401888568A92.jpeg

Ma big fat face chowing down šŸ˜‚ this week as a vegā€™y could be over before it starts šŸ˜‚

I also love shell fish....mussels, crab, oysters...all of them.
Like Bam there are also days when I only eat veg but I draw the line at Quorn, it gives me gas. I don't really see the point in pretend meat.

I found changing diet causes the farts as much as anything. When I deployed and was eating pussers scran it tended to go through me until I settled into it, some went the other way and it took them days before they emptied their arse. You get used to stuff. As for the pretend meat, while its not an issue for me, if you're not eating meat for ethical reasons as opposed to taste reasons, why not eat 'pretend meat', a lot of people are happy to eat ready meals instead of 'real meals', its all fuel and we have our preferences.

Back