• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Versatile Fenix FD20 AA Zoomable Flashlight

StrikeBack

Quite Talkative
Disclaimer: I purchased this flashlight and the following video is not monetized.

I was talking to a friend who was going to Africa for volunteer work. He's not into flashlights and didn't want to take a charger with him, because didn't know if he would have access to electricity. That made me think about the good old AA batteries again. Unfortunately for him, I found this light after he had left.

I think it's great for the everyday person who needs a versatile general use light. For all you lumen junkies, this isn't the light for you. It only puts out 350 lumens on turbo. But it has a focus/zoom feature that actually produces good usable light. From floodlight to spotlight, the light produces good illumination for different situations.

It looks the part, there has become an obsession with over powerful flashlights but in the woods who needa a thousand yard beam that's just going to bounce off the trees and bushes

It looks the part, there has become an obsession with over powerful flashlights but in the woods who needa a thousand yard beam that's just going to bounce off the trees and bushes

You might need one at the summer meet Joe in order to find your shelter after we move it a thousand yards away from where you originally pitched it just for a laugh ! ;)

Amazon is your friend !

You might need one at the summer meet Joe in order to find your shelter after we move it a thousand yards away from where you originally pitched it just for a laugh ! ;)

Amazon is your friend !
Good morning Neil, if my memory serves me right you would need help in putting up a shelter and nobody who'll be there will want to help a second class BITCH:p:lol::lol::lol:

Hi SB.

Nice looking and robust torch mate.....good size too....that should last you a few years:thumbsup:
Good to have the options with the beam zoom.
Do you use a head light aswell while you are out and about.....good to have a hands free option sometimes?

Good video review thanks for sharing mate:thumbsup:

I do like a torch but haven't brought any for a while, last ones were natural white 1000lumens on turbo and a 5x Cree XML giving 4000 lumens I guess tech has moved on a lot from them, but I'm sticking with what I have, did but proper quality 18650 that do the job for days

I'm with you Joe, I've noticed that too. I have a lantern attachment I add on to this and use it as a lantern.

Hi SB.

Nice looking and robust torch mate.....good size too....that should last you a few years:thumbsup:
Good to have the options with the beam zoom.
Do you use a head light aswell while you are out and about.....good to have a hands free option sometimes?

Good video review thanks for sharing mate:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comment brother! Headlamps are great. Which one do you use?

I do like a torch but haven't brought any for a while, last ones were natural white 1000lumens on turbo and a 5x Cree XML giving 4000 lumens I guess tech has moved on a lot from them, but I'm sticking with what I have, did but proper quality 18650 that do the job for days

The 18650 battery is my favorite! Those are some nice lights you have there.

I always went here for top end flashlights. . . . Wow lights have moved on!!!

Fast worldwide shipping, great support and the best prices on all the latest models!

Spent many $ here lol ;)

http://www.hkequipment.net/

i was into the latest flashlights and headtorches big time for my survival use and brought and used a lot lot lot of new gear when the LED revelation became trustworthy and established it enabled me extend my outdoor survival trips for more than just a night or two and I learnt that being able to move at night is a HUGE benefit and moral booster and a definite lifesaver in a real survival situation especially in the winter because I was able to walk and function at night because in the winter season I would just make camp at dusk or try to carry on moving/walking by rellying on maglights which I soon learnt was a no go (maglites were best torch at that time) the small AA/AAA maglite torches were ok for personal use but pretty much useless for more than 3mtrs and big D cell ones were the only alternative but so heavy and bulky and not practical for packing in more than an a one overnight kit, like many people I just went from a D size 2 cell to a D size 6 cell but they were heavy and slippery when wet so would always get dropped although they well made the build would always blow the bulb and the included spare bulb would either get lost in the darkness, blow as well or not be their because i forgot to replace it lol, I used all sizes from AAA through to D and all sizes would either fail if dropped or run out of batteries in 15-40 minutes In the end I learned the best one to pack for survival was the AAA with 4 sets of batteries and 4 spare bulbs and I only used it in the field when I really really needed it and I learned to function at night by moonlight (if there was any) or hunker down at dusk till dawn and light a fire to do suff in the dark, In a true survival suitation you want to be rescued or reach safety within 24hrs depending on the season you will have between 5 and 14 hours of darkness so in my opinion a torch is more use than any knife in the 24hr survival window. With the LED technology now available you can extend your survival window from 25hrs to 72hrs because you can move and give good light signals for a good 3 nights with a high quality torch, pack extra spare batteries and you've got many many nights of movement and signalling. Survivals first priority is get to help or be seen. If your uninjured or your situation is unknown to others who can raise help you better get walking to help don't wait for it to come because it's not gonna come! You can walk anything from 10 miles to a 50km in 24hrs depending on the terrain and your fitness etc (generally speaking that range will get you to civilisation within the uk, unless your walking in circles for two days on Dartmoor lol) after 24hrs your moral will will start to decline especialy without food and fluids and if it gets dark for the second time and your cheap torch fails your moral will plumit to rock bottom then it's time to get out your knife and fire strike build a huge fire and sleep till dawn and implement bushcraft and survival camp skills :D

A good quality torch or headlamp also makes night time bushcraft and camping a lot easier!

I don't do so much extreme survival so I sorted out my torch kit a while ago, this is what I've kept, pic below ;)

My current flashlight and headlight thread here:

https://www.thebushcraftforum.uk/threads/a-look-a-torches-and-headlamp-options.5425/

image.jpeg

Thanks for the comment brother! Headlamps are great. Which one do you use?

Hi SB.

I use the old favourite Petzel.
Use it when hunting....fishing....and bushcraft/wild camping......good in power cuts too :D
Have tried a few different makes....but always come back to the Petzel.
I liked this particular one for its smart power adjustment where different light strengths come in handy.....conserves its own power.
Very well made and robust...waterproof aswell.:thumbsup:

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/petzl-...3N2ZlOWY2YTQzYTFjNDQ2OTAyYzBiMzU1N2FhNDIifQ==

Having had the mickey taken out of me for owning a one candle power headlamp (120 lumens) by the usual suspects at the Summer Meet does anyone have any recommendations that won't break the bank (Kit tarts with long pockets excluded :D).

As with all our kit it will come down to function versus price but there must be something out there that would give me 2-300 lumens for a reasonable outlay ? :thumbsup:

This might suffice & I may be able to find it cheaper if I look around.

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1281-Petzl-ACTIK-Headtorch-Black/

I particularly like this feature as it reduces the risk of retina sunburn in group situations around the campfire. :rolleyes:
  • Red lighting preserves night vision and keeps from blinding other members of the group. :thumbsup:
:rofl:Retinal burn can be no worse than leaning over the camp fire and getting sparks in your eyes and is therefor an integral part of bushcrafting Neil, I think the light you are looking at is designed to be worn on the back of the head so that you can spot anybody sneaking up behind you:lol::lol::lol:

Back