• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Victorinox Blister Needle

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
If you are on a hike, sometimes it is necessary to open blisters with a needle.
The "Victorinox Compact" -in my opinion the best trekking knife in the world- has such a blister needle integrated next to the corkscrew.

But the little tunnel, where it belongs in, is in nearly every Victorinox knife with corkscrew since round about 20 years.
Where you can buy Victorinox knifes you usually get the blister needle, and you can integrate it in your old knife!

WP_20180422_14_13_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20180422_14_13_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20180422_14_14_14_Pro.jpg

That's interesting. I have a Camper model Swiss Army Knife, an older model, but I can't find anywhere for a blister needle to fit. It has a corkscrew but a more useless item on a pocket knife, at least to an Englishman, I can't imagine. All my Swiss pocket knives apart from the Camper are models that have a Phillips screwdriver blade in place of the daft corkscrew...:D

Since I usually carry needle with cotton thread wrapped around it in my FAK I prefer to transfix a blister as soon as it starts with a clean fine needle & thread to let it wick out slowly. Medi-prep wipes containing surgical spirit can help by toughening up the skin on the sides of your toes and heels...I also heartily reccomend wool rich or alpaca socks.
Maybe I'm just a bit of a peasant but most of my wine comes with a screw cap these days.
Having said all that I still believe Victrinox products rock!

The thread through a blister helps drain it but needs to be managed as I’ve seen a mismanaged example become infected and it wasn’t a pretty sight.

As for wine I wouldn’t tune my nose up to a screw top or even the tap on a box but as Baden Powell said “be prepared”

In terms of Victorinox products the only time I’ve ever lost the use of them is when someone’s stolen them!

I don't use a thread. And the Victorinox needle doesn't offer this option. I just make a small hole in the blister, and press on it with some toilet paper.
I never got larger problems by treating blisters like this.

(But surely with woolen socks usually I dont get any blisters.)

I may be the odd one out here, I don't burst blisters, I think they heal quicker if you leave them but I understand if you need to walk then it may be the best solution.

The blister is there to cushion the damaged part of the foot.

Something like compeed that provides a healing cushion is the best bet.

Back