• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Video cameras...uploading etc.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Hi Guys.

After discussing some video work in another thread I thought I would add this new thread...........somewhere we can talk about the cameras we have or want to get.
We have some experienced users and uploaders......and it would be nice to add to the numbers so we have even more footage of trips etc to look back at on the forum.:thumbsup:

Also, make it a place where members can ask advice from more experienced users of the cameras........how to use or Mod them @G1ZmO ;)

To start off the thread I bought a Tom Tom Bandit a while back and had all kinds of trouble trying to use it.....being a complete and utter Technical numpty it ended up in the drawer :rofl::whistle:
I have now taken it back out and would appreciate any tips on how to go about uploading to YouTube??......it will need to be step by step advice if anyone is up for helping:D

Are there any other members who could use some advice and help from our more experienced users......ask your questions here:thumbsup:

Question??

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V camera that has a video function on it.
Had it for a good few years now......great little camera.
Just tried to take a bit of video out the back with it.
Plugged into "Picasa" via the USB cable and tried to download it same as I do with photos......not happening :whistle::rofl::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Took out the SD card from the camera and put that in the card slot in the computer SD .MS. xD nothing happening.

What am I doing wrong :fedup::fedup::( any help much appreciated?

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply mate ;)

Yes, the camera came with a disc which I have run......I can download photos to "Picasa" but having trouble trying to get the video there.
Had a look on YouTube and a guy just plugged his SD card from his camera into the computer and off he went no trouble at all.
When I plug in my SD card nothing happens :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Do you think I need a Card Reader or whatever????

God I feel like a right Div :rofl::whistle:

Not a problem bill but i Have nothing else :rofl: :rofl: It’s been a long time from owning a pc mate and even then I was rubbish with it :rofl:

You could need a card reader but that’s a total guess bill. Sorry buddy:thumbsdown:

I can however help with uploading to YouTube:thumbsup: only because is simple :D but am afraid you will need your videos on your pc first:thumbsdown: :D

You need to manually look for the SD card, it should show up in your list of drives once it is inserted into the slot in the PC. When you find it a double click should open it, you should then be offered a choice of which program you wish to open it with.
(You're no more of a div than I am, I just missed a chance of buying a WestlyRichards 1907 air pistol:crying:)

Not a problem bill but i Have nothing else :rofl::rofl: It’s been a long time from owning a pc mate and even then I was rubbish with it :rofl:

You could need a card reader but that’s a total guess bill. Sorry buddy:thumbsdown:

I can however help with uploading to YouTube:thumbsup: only because is simple :D but am afraid you will need your videos on your pc first:thumbsdown::D

Thanks for the input Mark......Simple???.............yes......when you know how :whistle::rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Ystranc

Thanks for your help mate.
Just had a look at drivers and managed to find the video after some guesswork button pushing:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Tried to send it to documents......it must have got lost :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::rofl:

OK, to start off, you need to get the files from your camera card onto the PC/Laptop

Usually when you connect the camera via USB cable or plug in the media card (whether SD, CF or other) it'll pop up a window asking you to import photos etc.
I generally don't bother with this and just copy the files from the card to where I want to edit them on the PC
How to Transfer Files to an SD Memory Card

File management:
I'd recommend the following folder format to keep everything in the correct order and make it easy to find stuff in the future.
YYYY-MM-DD Where and Who was there

I'd also save the project files of whatever video editing program you're using into the same folder

Lately I’ve started using the free version of DaVinci Resolve (v15) and it has great functionality and can be used as a very basic editor though I’d advise watching a few YouTube videos on how to get started.

DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design

Exporting from Resolve creates a huge file e.g. a 4 minute video exports from Resolve as a 6.4GB (1080p) .mov file but this can be run through another free program called Handbrake which converts it to a 500MB .avi file which can be uploaded to YouTube

Does that help?

Hi Paul.

Thank you for your help and input......after reading that...... I now feel I am totally fkd :rofl:

Question??

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V camera that has a video function on it.

Plugged into "Picasa" via the USB cable and tried to download it same as I do with photos......not happening :whistle::rofl::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Took out the SD card from the camera and put that in the card slot in the computer SD .MS. xD nothing happening.

What am I doing wrong :fedup::fedup::( any help much appreciated?

OK mate, I was too quick off the mark with advice

Firstly I've discovered that your camera creates videos in mp4 format and Picassa 3 does not support mp4 files so that's likely to be why nothing is happening when you try to import with Picassa. - I'm guessing this is the initial problem?

You need to:
1: Get the files from your SD card to a folder on your PC - I'd suggest a straight COPY/PASTE process <-- is this the secondary problem?
2: Decide what program you will use to edit your video files (unless you want to upload them to YT unedited, which you could)

Back