• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Waiting game.

There is a good chance that the BMA has caused at least part of the backlog by suspending the digital marker system after some GPs complained about it.
”There will be a temporary pause on the digital firearms marker for practices using the EMIS system, effective from the evening of 14 July 2022. The digital marker system on EMIS should be back up and running after a few weeks, and after it has been cleared through the JGPITC (Joint General Practitioners Information Technology Committee). This temporary pause is to address some issues that have been communicated by GPs and practices, and to enable testing of the accuracy and completeness of the flags that are currently popping up. The TPP system will continue to run during this time.”extract from the BMA journal.

At least they are looking into the possibility of the system being not quite right, unlike another large organisation that ignored, hid evidence of and generally blamed anybody but the thing that was bad.

Interesting point of law, if a shooter has spent some time on section 7 certificates then according to legislation the period that he/she spent on the section 7 should not be deducted from the renewed certificate. A certificate runs for five years from date of issue unless revoked,

[F128ACertificates: supplementary.​

(1)A certificate shall, unless previously revoked or cancelled, continue in force for five years from the date when it was granted or last renewed, but shall be renewable for a further period of five years by the chief officer of police for the area in which the holder resides.

Interesting point of law, if a shooter has spent some time on section 7 certificates then according to legislation the period that he/she spent on the section 7 should not be deducted from the renewed certificate. A certificate runs for five years from date of issue unless revoked,

[F128ACertificates: supplementary.​

(1)A certificate shall, unless previously revoked or cancelled, continue in force for five years from the date when it was granted or last renewed, but shall be renewable for a further period of five years by the chief officer of police for the area in which the holder resides.
That is good news for me, I have been waiting for my Co terminus renewal since April 2022! 1 x Extension , now on my third temp permit. 🤷. Luckily I have enough .22 and .243 ammo for what I do.

That is good news for me, I have been waiting for my Co terminus renewal since April 2022! 1 x Extension , now on my third temp permit. 🤷. Luckily I have enough .22 and .243 ammo for what I do.
You need to move to Powys Mike. When I put in for my coterminous licence I had my police liaison visit the next day and my new licence within the month…and that is after my Doctors surgery manager pissing about. Powys police were brilliant.
The thing about those section 7 permits is that they’re designed to be a certificate that allows you to keep a firearm in order to dispose of it, not actually acquire ammunition or use it. They’re not a firearms license or an extension and you’re being short changed if the police try to pass them off as such

Last edited:
So, I called this morning. Amongst all the pre recorded blurb was a bit that says they only answer the phone mon-fri 10-11am. So at 10.30 I guess I got lucky.
Their systems were down this morning but they are currently working through November's renewals, so only a few months behind 🙄, a bit like my tax rebate...
The nice lady said she'd have a look as soon as they were up and running and if an extension letter wasn't en-route she'd put one up today as mine had expired.
We shall see.
My surgery won't even do the medical for shotgun or FAC licence. Practice manager (call her "Anne" for the purpose of conversation) is very anti hunting. "If you want a gun, change to another practice!"
Not that I've applied but several acquaintances of mine who hunt in and around Carmarthen have told me several similar stories.
She is a very proud member of the HSA
(Hunt Saboteur Association) and Action Against Cruel Sports charity.
(I only know this because her car is plastered in stickers supporting both)

My surgery won't even do the medical for shotgun or FAC licence. Practice manager (call her "Anne" for the purpose of conversation) is very anti hunting. "If you want a gun, change to another practice!"
Not that I've applied but several acquaintances of mine who hunt in and around Carmarthen have told me several similar stories.
She is a very proud member of the HSA
(Hunt Saboteur Association) and Action Against Cruel Sports charity.
(I only know this because her car is plastered in stickers supporting both)
There is a company called medcert who will do your medical records for £60+vat The police work with them a lot. You can completely circumvent the practice manager of your doctor’s surgery.

Last edited:
She should be reported to the partners for letting her private opinions interfere with her job.
Official, in writing.
She is allowed to have her opinions but it is the place of the actual medical practitioners to decide if they want to process the application or not, the practice manager is just the one who invoices for the service, that should be her only involvement.

She needs reporting to BASC. Maybe they can bring some pressure to bear where a bias can be shown.

She should be reported to the partners for letting her private opinions interfere with her job.
Official, in writing.

She is allowed to have her opinions but it is the place of the actual medical practitioners to decide if they want to process the application or not, the practice manager is just the one who invoices for the service, that should be her only involvement.
I agree with you all, and had it happened to me, I would report her.
But I've only heard this story from 3 other people who have applied for their FAC medical, for all I know these folk may have been found not suitable for FAC and rather than say that's the case, they could have made it up. I've not reapplied for my FAC for 10 years, got it revoked when doctor put me on antidepressants. Been off them for 8 years but haven't bothered reapplying as I don't have a permission anywhere, and not overly interested in shooting anymore. Plus where I live the FAC officer would laugh, no way they'd let me have a licence here, Armed officers are on the estate at least once a fortnight.

Has this been resolved yet Manny? Has your SGC come through yet and if so, did they offer you the full five years without messing about?

That was rather naughty….but I suppose after waiting so long you wouldn’t really want to press the matter. Are you a member of BASC?…if so I would let BASC know, they’re dealing with a few police forces that are breaking their own guidelines.

That's the trouble matey, they are guidelines not rules. If the HO got its act together and said "right, all forces across the country will do this" then I'm sure there would be more action taken against failing forces. Guidelines is how we've got into the whole medical form debacle in the first place. Some CC's wanting more than the guidelines ask for.
On the whole I wasn't to displeased with the service, yes it could have been quicker but the communication was OK when I contacted them, some folks can't even get hold of anybody to talk to.
On the medical forms, I thought the old system was OK, Dr's got 21 days to object on medical grounds to a cert being issued and a marker placed on the patients records should an objection ever become appropriate. Simple in its use and control. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I read it, as long as you applied for your renewal 8 weeks before your licence was due to expire the police can issue an extension to that licence which allows you to use your firearms under the same terms as your licence. Any time spent on this extension can be deducted from the 5 year term of your renewed licence. If however the Police still haven’t decided whether or not to renew your licence after the additional 8 weeks extension then the applicant is issued a section 7 permit which does not entitle you to all the benefits of a firearm licence, strictly speaking it’s only purpose is to allow you to keep the firearms and ammunition already in your possession, not to use them, acquire or exchange firearms or buy ammunition.
Because of this and the fact that section 7 permits are supposed to be issued free of charge the time spent on section 7 permits should not be deducted from the remainder of your 5 year firearm certificate.

Last edited:
Back