• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Walking/Trekking poles.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
I have been looking at getting a pair of Walking/Trekking poles.

Been doing some reading and it all seems very positive, and should prove to be a worthwhile purchase.
There certainly seems to be more plus points than negative.

I had a spinal fusion operation a couple of years ago, so the extra support and security of the poles, will help while moving over slippery or uneven terrain.

They offer good support for the knees, posture, and aid load carrying as well.
Especially helpful on gradients, going up, or down.

Not to mention using them to erect a lightweight tarp shelter. :)

Any one else using poles out there, what are your thoughts, and what poles do you have?

Hello Bill,

I have a couple of sets of poles, I don't always take them out with me but when I do, they help get me up steep hills without needing a respirator or move at a fair clip across relatively flat land.

For just rambling about on an afternoon, the cheapo tesco ones I have are more than adequate, they are pretty small (no more than 1.5m fully extended) reasonably light and easily fit in my day pack when not in use. I have used them to erect a little poncho brew up snug and they did an ok job, but I would not trust them to support something I intended to sleep under.

For more thought out walking I have a pair of not at all cheap Leki hybrid poles, they extend to just under 2m and do not compact as small as the cheap jobbies, but they are both stronger and lighter than Mr Tesco's Chinese made wares.

When I am out walking purely for exercise purposes and / or to sort out my back, I use a set of Nordic Walking poles I have (also Leki). For those that are unfamiliar with Nordic Walking, it is a pretty efficient means of using your upper body to help out your legs and as such the placement of the poles when walking and the grips and straps on the poles are some what different form trekking (some people also insist that the poles should be of a fixed length and not adjustable, but each to their own. You look a proper numpty when practising nordic walking - think speed walker with poles (or more precisely a skier without snow, as it was originally developed by cross country skiers, to practice in warmer months) but if you have any back issues, it sorts your back out a treat.

But to be fair, the issues with my back are muscular and not skeletal and I am not a doctor, so I have no idea if Nordic Walking as any good for folks who have had a spinal fusion op.

Anyway, as I am nearing my input quota for the month, I hope that helps or was at least of passing interest.

Atb.

Colin

I should point out, I am not being sponsored by the Nordic Walking community, just enjoy doing it from time to time.

Last edited:
Of all the team of 20 who climbed Kilimanjaro with my missus last month, only one did not have poles.

Guess which one broke an ankle on the descent?

Hello Bill,

I have a couple of sets of poles, I don't always take them out with me but when I do, they help get me up steep hills without needing a respirator or move at a fair clip across relatively flat land.

For just rambling about on an afternoon, the cheapo tesco ones I have are more than adequate, they are pretty small (no more than 1.5m fully extended) reasonably light and easily fit in my day pack when not in use. I have used them to erect a little poncho brew up snug and they did an ok job, but I would not trust them to support something I intended to sleep under.

For more thought out walking I have a pair of not at all cheap Leki hybrid poles, they extend to just under 2m and do not compact as small as the cheap jobbies, but they are both stronger and lighter than Mr Tesco's Chinese made wares.

When I am out walking purely for exercise purposes and / or to sort out my back, I use a set of Nordic Walking poles I have (also Leki). For those that are unfamiliar with Nordic Walking, it is a pretty efficient means of using your upper body to help out your legs and as such the placement of the poles when walking and the grips and straps on the poles are some what different form trekking (some people also insist that the poles should be of a fixed length and not adjustable, but each to their own. You look a proper numpty when practising nordic walking - think speed walker with poles (or more precisely a skier without snow, as it was originally developed by cross country skiers, to practice in warmer months) but if you have any back issues, it sorts your back out a treat.

But to be fair, the issues with my back are muscular and not skeletal and I am not a doctor, so I have no idea if Nordic Walking as any good for folks who have had a spinal fusion op.

Anyway, as I am nearing my input quota for the month, I hope that helps or was at least of passing interest.

Atb.

Colin

I should point out, I am not being sponsored by the Nordic Walking community, just enjoy doing it from time to time.

Hi Colin.

What a cracking reply, thanks for taking the time to write it, very helpful mate.

ATB.

Bill.

Of all the team of 20 who climbed Kilimanjaro with my missus last month, only one did not have poles.

Guess which one broke an ankle on the descent?

Hi HD.

What a brilliant achievement, you must be mighty proud of your missus mate :eek:
How long was the trip?

Not the place to have a broken ankle is it, poor sod.

That's it then, poles for me it is!

Hi HD.

What a brilliant achievement, you must be mighty proud of your missus mate :eek:
How long was the trip?

Not the place to have a broken ankle is it, poor sod.

That's it then, poles for me it is!

Yep, I am indeed. She was climbing for an Edinburgh based kids' cancer charity, 'It's Good 2 Give', who helped us out when our wee lass was sick.

The climb was 5 days up, two down but she was badly affected by altitude sickness early on.

The one that broke her ankle had to be stretchered down by two porters...a full day's worth.

Fantastic effort, and a great cause, very humbling.

I hope your wee lass is all good now.

A 5 day climb, gruelling, an a real test of an individuals metal.

^ glad to hear that HD i hope she stays on the mend. and i use poles every time im out bill. i only have a really cheap crap pair at the moment as i didnt think id use them much. but i shall soon invest in a decent pair as ive found i use them loads

Last edited:
wife has a couple of the aluminium ones, damn things squeak all the flipping time, really does my head in, I've got a couple of the wooden ones bought cheap at the WG and a car boot, their much better..no squeak!!!!:)

wife has a couple of the aluminium ones, damn things squeak all the flipping time, really does my head in, I've got a couple of the wooden ones bought cheap at the WG and a car boot, their much better..no squeak!!!!:)

Hi LW.

WD40 ?......:D

I use walking poles every now and again, more on rough terrain than anything else. My Mum uses walking poles as well every now and again. On that there is a point to note and that was the other day we were in Halfords and Mum actually bought a set of walking poles for £1, literally 50p each.

........50p each!!!!............quality that mate ;):D.......you sure that was "Walking sticks" ( Poles ) and not "cocktail sticks":p

........50p each!!!!............quality that mate ;):D.......you sure that was "Walking sticks" ( Poles ) and not "cocktail sticks":p

They seem to stand upto the ones I have (Leki and some that were recommended to me by an instructor at Plas Y Brennan, cheap but good). Have the impact system so absorb some shock, construction appears to be reasonably good. The only thing I don't like about them is the boot that covers the spike comes of rather easily, but that can be remedied with some electrical tape. To be honest I was quite surprisedd to find they came with a detachable mud cage / foot.

To be fair, for a £1, it would not matter if they only lasted a month or two.

If Mum is happy, and safe using them, that's good enough;).

I just get very suspicious of such bargains, especially when you rely on the product to bear your weight, and aid you.
It would cost more to replace the Boot ( If you lost one ) than to replace the original pole cost :D

Way to go.

Back