• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Walther.

Sold the S200, it became a pain in the arse mate. Going back to a springer. I had HW77 for years and never had any complaints but I fancy a different maker.

I like springers, to me they feel alive. Only yesterday I was being shown a Daystate, I believe it was, totally electronic I think he called it!! Bull Pup design, there was a meter of some description visible in the butt. Every shot guaranteed to be of the exact same muzzle velocity and the trigger pull was...well it wasn't, it just needed breathing on and it fired like a whisper. Illuminated 'scope, cocked it with a tiny lever and something like 14 shot magazine.
I'd prefer that Walther any day BM, it looks useful and you can bet on the quality. :thumbsup:

Nice looking rifle Boogie:thumbsup:

What scope are you thinking of?

Keep us up to speed on how you get on with it mate;)

That looks like fun Boogieman, time to re learn that springer technique for dealing with spring recoil again.

Nice looking rifle Boogie:thumbsup:

What scope are you thinking of?

Keep us up to speed on how you get on with it mate;)
Something like a 3-9-40/50 AO----1/4 inch turrets -----BDC reticule. It handles really nicely, but felt a bit strange because of the thumbhole stock, I'm used to shooting "Thumb up". It has a bit of weight like a HW77, no bad thing in my book.

I like springers, to me they feel alive. Only yesterday I was being shown a Daystate, I believe it was, totally electronic I think he called it!! Bull Pup design, there was a meter of some description visible in the butt. Every shot guaranteed to be of the exact same muzzle velocity and the trigger pull was...well it wasn't, it just needed breathing on and it fired like a whisper. Illuminated 'scope, cocked it with a tiny lever and something like 14 shot magazine.
I'd prefer that Walther any day BM, it looks useful and you can bet on the quality. :thumbsup:
My S200 was like that, just a ---phut--and the pellet was gone. What got me in the end was the hassle of having to deal with pumps and buddy bottles. With a springer you are self contained, replacement parts are cheap, it's the most reliable option.

I've been back again to the gunsmith, and I've decided to pass on this particular Rifle simply because I don't feel completely happy with the Thumbhole stock. It balances well and shoulders well but doesn't feel right with regard to hand and trigger finger position. I'm used to a traditional stock and shooting with my Thumb up. On a side note I checked out a Hawke Panorama scope and was very impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the reticule. The Walther LGV break barrel was very nice and felt just right, a bit lighter than a Weihrauch with less recoil and very quiet with the correct moderator. Also mulling over the possibilities of .20 cal, over normal air rifle distances the .20 pellet has some positive traits over both the .177 & .22. Decisions, decisions eh:rolleyes:

Hi BM....the HW95 is worth a look also the HW98 a cracking rifle the 98...........just a thought :thumbsup:;)

The 98 is a very nice Rifle and I have looked at it. The Dealer put me off a bit as he doesn't think they are really suited to field shooting( mmmm not my experience at all) The 98 was very high up my list of Rifles, and I still feel it would be a great choice. Do you have a 98 Willie?

Hi BM.
I can't write here what I think of your dealer :rofl:
But everyone has an opinion.
Yes I did have one.....and wish I still had it.
The 98 was a very accurate and smooth shooting rifle.
Only gets better after a few tins of pellets run through it.
Mine was a .22 and liked RWS Superdomes.
Good luck whatever you choose :thumbsup:

Did you find the HW98 "nose heavy" or is this just personal preference. Weren't they developed as FT rifles?

Yes, the 98 is nose heavy.....not a bad thing as it helps with muzzle flip.
That's the reason the barrel is thicker/weighted.
I still have my HW95....sold it to a friend....but now back in the cabinet.
The 95 was tuned by Tony Wall of Sandwell Field Sports and shoots very nicely.......11.4ftlbs and can cock it with my little finger.
The 95 is practically the same action as the 98 but not so nose heavy and is lighter.
Never had a problem with either of them........just keep an eye on the hinge break pins for tightness.

The beauty of the 98 is the adjustable comb and butt pad........you can play around until you get you're preferred fit.
If you want to play further you can also sort out you're length of pull........mine is around the 13 inch mark.
Both the 95 and the 98 have the adjustable Rekord trigger unit.....some people knock it.....but I never had any problems apart from setting the trigger to light (safe...but light)

If you are looking for a springer and want to get the very best from it you could do worse than ring Tony Wall and get a price for a new tuned and fettled rifle from him.
He is in West Bromich.

http://www.sandwellfieldsports.com/

I have no connection or affiliation with the company or Tony personally..........but will praise his first class service and skills.

Last edited:
Sorry forgot........Originally the 98 was designed to be a target and field rifle.
They have released an FT option but I don't know what differences there are between them.........apart from favouring.177 :)

I thought the HW98 was the target version of the HW95. I sold my aa200 for the same reason and bought a Hatsan Dominator , which is a tx200/hw97/lgu copy. I've had it for 2 years and have no problems with it, with a scope on it weighs 11lbs so it is not light but the weight helps with the recoil. Although it is not quite as good as the above models.

Back