• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Want to buy my first rifle...need suggestions.

bennie123

Slightly Talkative
I'm looking for a fairly cheap rifle but accuracy is really my priority. I plan to use it for plinking in my back garden mainly but I do hope to do a little hunting (and before anyone intends on lecturing me on the law, I would like to say that I am very aware of the law and intend to stay firmly within it). The SMK SYNXS in .177 caliber sounds very attractive but I would like to hear any other suggestions with a similar price range. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your replies and comments.

I know a guy who has a smk 19 which he has done a little bit of tunning to and it shoots spot on so this would be the road I think I would go down

Atb Aaron

I agree, although I've never used one I have heard an awful lot of good stuff about their ability to perform admirably alongside more expensive makes.

As for lecturing you about the law? Well, did you know that you're not allowed to - only kidding! :D

We don't really go in for much lecturing on here mate. :cool:

Hi Bennie123,
Dont worry about that! Have a look around and you will see that we are a nice bunch that doesnt really 'do' lecturing. We are all here to help each other and talk nonsense!

We have a hunting forum that you can request to join which you might enjoy and if you want some advice etc relating to that side of things.

I have no experience with that rifle but seen the name crop up a fair bit on here so someone will be along shortly about it I am sure - if you cant wait have a look through or do a search and you should find some info/opinions.
Other ones that get mentioned are the:
SMK XS20 - I know nothing about it (bar Ian wants one to add to his collection)
Stoegar x20 - again, I know nothing about it I am afraid.

Personally I am a big fan of 2nd hand to get a deal on a 'better' (well more expensive when new) rifle - but thats just me :)

What is your budget mate?

Last edited:
The SYNXS is not powerful enough for anything other than very close range rat control. If you want a cheap, powerful springer in the Chinese bracket I can recommend (in my own order of preference)

XS19. A copy of a well known Gamo, not bad, better with tuning. Also sold under other names, the Stoeger X20 being one (although the safety catch was moved for the Stoeger). Tuning parts (including a much needed trigger upgrade) readily available.

SYNSG. A copy of a Diana, this is basically the same gun as the XS208 series but in a synthetic stock. Good full power, again responds to tuning very well and tuning parts are readily available but if you want to upgrade the trigger you're on your own. I did mine, it was a troublesome job but well worth it.

XS20. This is the flagship of the range, a direct copy of the Weihrauch HW95 even down to the Rekord trigger unit. I have one of these but I bought mine from a gun tuner who did a lot of work to it before I took delivery. It is now super smooth and super quiet. Shoots as well as a V.Mach tuned HW95 for a fraction of the price. Probably the easiest to home tune and parts again are readily available. Bit more pricey than the others though.

If you want to know anything about other guns in the SMK range then ask, I've shot most of them at one time or another;)

My budget is about £150-£200 but I would ideally like to get a scope and gun bag with that. And thank you everyone for the advice. Very helpful stuff :)

Also, given my intended uses, which caliber would you recommend I go for? .22 or .177?

I would recommend a .22 for your given choices but it doesn't make much difference either way. .177 pellets are cheaper but springers in the .177 calibre tend to be more harsh and difficult to smooth out than their .22 counterparts. I also find the .22 pellet has far superior stopping power for airgun quarry, especially at close ranges but pellet shape/choice will have some bearing on this.

I have recently started shooting and for my first rifle I bought a Hammerli 550. It came in a kit which included the rifle, a gun slip, Walther 3-9 x 40 tele sight, silencer and pellets (200) and targets. All for under £200.00.

Google, Hammerli 550 Seeker Kit

My grouping is improving each time I visit the range so I think the gun is pretty accurate and consistent.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Reactions: Ian
Older second hand BSA lightning, 100%

Cracking rifle, and on that budget would come with scope

I own an SMK XS19 & that's a cracking gun for the money. They're about £140 but you may get one cheaper if you shop around. One bit of advice I would give is to get a custom trigger as the factory one is crap. Woodfield GCP do one (they have a website) & you can fit it yourself. Less than 20 quid for the upgrade & it makes a good gun better. Slap a scope on & you have a nice rig. You can buy a decent scope from JS Ramsbottom (also has a website) for about £30.

Hope this helps.

Back