• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

War on plastic. Ive just watched the first episode of Hugh Ferny Werny's program about plastic waste

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
He has a campaign to allow us to refill water bottles at fuel stations so show us your refillable bottles.
image.jpeg

Plastic waste is a subject that is close to my heart so whether they're steel, aluminium, titanium or plastic let's see what refillable bottles are on the market.

Last edited:
I've an array of 'ready use' and longer term stuff, all the way up to water butts and if push came to shove, a pond.

I wasn't trying to guilt trip anyone and since each time you re-use a plastic bottle you're lessening it's environmental impact I'm not going to criticise you at all Mark, re-use is the key to all of this. It's single use bottles being discarded that are the problem.
The idea of this bit of the Campaign is that fuel stations or public places should provide somewhere that people can refill their empty bottles, no one said the bottles have to be as flashy as the ones HFW was giving away on the program...or Bill's

Last edited:
I have a couple of small folding water containers and I also re-use water bottles.

I'm probably not the only one who remembers that plastic was promoted to 'save the trees', save the planet. That went well. 🤬
So now we are taking steps back to my childhood regarding packaging. Paper bags if you were lucky, or you took your own bag to the greengrocers and had everything bunged in together., I wonder how long it will be before cardboard milk cartons are back in vogue. ;)

Perhaps I lived in a particularly backward place for a while way back during my childhood but I remember my great aunt delivering food and glass bottles of milk in a small green pony trap, before that she filled cans from a churn. I also remember running up the hill to a dairy farm with a quart milk can to fetch the milk when we lived up in the lakes for a while (I was sent because I was the youngest and I loved to visit the farm dogs) Veg came wrapped in newspaper from my Grandad's garden and we never threw away food.
Plastic packaging is one of the things that has divorced us namby pamby westerners from our food. Not only don't people cook for themselves these days, many are squeamish about even touching meat in its unprocessed, raw state.

Last edited:
We buy the 2L bottles of fizzy juice, some get reused but some get ditched. Its not ideal and we buy mushrooms and other stuff that comes in plastic. I'm not going to beat myself up over it because some folk on the telly are being smug about it though.

We'd happily do things differently if it was a realistic option but it will require the shops to get onboard.

I recently learned, and you may be interested to know, that all airports (certainly within the EU) have a drinking water point somewhere in the passenger terminal after security. So if you have a water bottle you can fill it and avoid buying the disposable bottles. Many airports have them tucked away out of sight to encourange you to buy bottled water from their shops but they have to provide drinking water by law. They are often so well hidden that you may have to ask a member of staff where it is.

I wasn't trying to guilt trip anyone and since each time you re use a plastic bottle you're lessening it's environmental impact I'm not going to criticise you at all Mark, re use is the key to all of this. It's single use bottles being discarded that are the problem.
The idea of this bit of the Campaign is that fuel stations or public places should provide somewhere that people can refill their empty bottles, no one said the bottles have to be as flashy as the ones he was giving away on the program...or Bill's

No no buddy you make a great point about this. and you didn’t make me feel guilty at all....(no more than I already did lol) .it’s a growing problem (plastic) and am very appreciated of anybody making things better for our planet. Av been miffed of with myself about this for a wile now. And your post has only prompted me in the right direction.

Reactions: Bam
Just to add.....the "Flash bottles" I linked to are used for camping in the main......not for carrying around town or to hang off of a waist belt.......think I may have misinterpreted the thread.

Disposing of Plastic in all forms responsibly and efficiently...... is a huge problem.
If the powers that be want to make a dent in the problem......install public drinking water stations in the streets of our cities and public places and buildings........do the same all over the world.

They would obviously need to be enclosed and secure to prevent tampering......sadly.

Aghhh but wait.......that would cost money.....time/ effort and commitment.

Perhaps I lived in a particularly backward place for a while way back during my childhood but I remember my great aunt delivering food and glass bottles of milk in a small green pony trap, before that she filled cans from a churn. I also remember running up the hill to a dairy farm with a quart milk can to fetch the milk when we lived up in the lakes for a while (I was sent because I was the youngest and I loved to visit the farm dogs) Veg came wrapped in newspaper from my Grandads garden and we never threw away food.
Plastic packaging is one of the things that has divorced us namby pamby westerners from our food. Not only don't people cook for themselves these days, many are squeamish about even touching meat in its unprocessed, raw state.

I think it was quite common. I mentioned the greengrocer wanting a shopping bag for the veg, only fruit got the luxury of a paper bag 🤣 It would seem from what was on the news yesterday that it's now coming back into fashion to take your own bags.

Just one other observation...... Have you noticed how it has been food stores that have driven packing stuff in plastic for the public to buy, but now it's known how bad plastic is for the environment, the guilt trip is aimed squarely at the consumer?!? :mad: OK rant off.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to guilt trip anyone and since each time you re use a plastic bottle you're lessening it's environmental impact I'm not going to criticise you at all Mark, re use is the key to all of this. It's single use bottles being discarded that are the problem.
The idea of this bit of the Campaign is that fuel stations or public places should provide somewhere that people can refill their empty bottles, no one said the bottles have to be as flashy as the ones he was giving away on the program...or Bill's
O

We have gone back to glass bottles milk delivery. It’s kore expensive but as it’s straight from the dairy we are justifying it by the milk being fresher and nicer....

To many get broken round here

I think it was quite common. I mentioned the greengrocer wanting a shopping bag for the veg, only fruit got the luxury of a paper bag 🤣 It would seem from what was on the news yesterday that it's now coming back into fashion to take your own bags.

Just one other observation...... Have you noticed how it has been food stores that have driven packing stuff in plastic for the public to buy, but now it's known how bad plastic is for the environment, the guilt trip is aimed squarely at the consumer?!? :mad: OK rant off.

Its definitely a bandwagon, I'm afraid I'm far too cynical of a lot of this stuff, I haven't watched the programme that has inspired this thread, a lot of these things just seem too 'nouveau bourgiousie' in a "look how righteous we are" way.

I think most of us have got the message that there's a mammoth in the room and are open to doing something about it but we need to be led, hybrid cars, great.... "how fecking much... :eek: ". Ultimately there are just too many of us, especially in the West.

Going wildly off piste, the whole making the UK carbon neutral is a great thing, I'm all for it but its pissing in the wind, we're small time, again, we can heartily slap ourselves on the back for 'doing our bit' but 'WE' ain't the problem, well not compared to some. There's some 'developing' economies that could have a more dramatic impact on our wee planet if they played nicely, then of course there's one that has no excuse as its 'fully developed' but in denial.

Its definitely a bandwagon, I'm afraid I'm far too cynical of a lot of this stuff, I haven't watched the programme that has inspired this thread, a lot of these things just seem too 'nouveau bourgiousie' in a "look how righteous we are" way.

I think most of us have got the message that there's a mammoth in the room and are open to doing something about it but we need to be led, hybrid cars, great.... "how fecking much... :eek: ". Ultimately there are just too many of us, especially in the West.

Going wildly off piste, the whole making the UK carbon neutral is a great thing, I'm all for it but its pissing in the wind, we're small time, again, we can heartily slap ourselves on the back for 'doing our bit' but 'WE' ain't the problem, well not compared to some. There's some 'developing' economies that could have a more dramatic impact on our wee planet if they played nicely, then of course there's one that has no excuse as its 'fully developed' but in denial.
All true but you will never get a western politician suggesting population control, it's political suicide. We know in general that we need to control our population but very few people think it should apply to them specifically.

Back