• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Watches

I have a few watches, For a good ten years I used a Swiss Army Watch until it got damaged by a jeweller about 8 years ago, I then used to wear a Nite with H3 elements, but then I had to get the battery changed and the straps replaced and the cost involved was prohibitive to say the least.

Now you'll find me using one of two watches for work, both are manufactured by MWC, one is a G1098 W10 model, the other is a stainless version of the issued vietnam watch with a quartz movement. Both are pretty good, keep good time and are robust without being too bulky. I like watches with hands.
Cost of a repair I'm talking about mechanical watch now (Not much time for quartz watches)excuse the pun Providing it is wound a watch will tick for 24hours, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year for say3to 4 years before you decide to take it to a watch maker (sorry not many of them) repairer and he gives you a quote depending on the make of watch lets say £100-£150 for how long it been doing its job its a bargain. Let your car run 24/7 for 3 years without a service think there would be a problem way before then and the cost££££££

Cost of a repair I'm talking about mechanical watch now (Not much time for quartz watches)excuse the pun Providing it is wound a watch will tick for 24hours, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year for say3to 4 years before you decide to take it to a watch maker (sorry not many of them) repairer and he gives you a quote depending on the make of watch lets say £100-£150 for how long it been doing its job its a bargain. Let your car run 24/7 for 3 years without a service think there would be a problem way before then and the cost££££££

my watch is the omnitrix nuclear powered last foreverlol

I bought myself the MTM Special Ops watch, the one worn by Kieffer Sutherland in 24. Awesome bit of kit. I used to pick that over the Tag, but the charger stopped doing it's job, and it's more expensive to ship the whole thing to the states for repair than it was to just buy another one, so I stopped wearing a watch full stop.

Couple of idiot jewelers wanted £60 to put a battery in the Tag, which is ridiculous.

I did buy a cheap Timex for £40 but realised that after not wearing a watch for years I really didn't like wearing one again.

Ultimate bushcraft watch has to be this :D

I bought myself the MTM Special Ops watch, the one worn by Kieffer Sutherland in 24. Awesome bit of kit. I used to pick that over the Tag, but the charger stopped doing it's job, and it's more expensive to ship the whole thing to the states for repair than it was to just buy another one, so I stopped wearing a watch full stop.

Couple of idiot jewelers wanted £60 to put a battery in the Tag, which is ridiculous.

I did buy a cheap Timex for £40 but realised that after not wearing a watch for years I really didn't like wearing one again.

I don't agree with the cost of £60.00 to fit a battery, however if you have a waterproof watch and have a battery fitted it needs to be retested depending on what machine they use either a dry or wet test depends on how much that bit of equipment costs, could run into a couple of thousand. If you had a battery fitted and it leaked I think you would be back to the shop quicker than that demanding that something be done. With an expensive watch goes an expensive repair/maintenance `

I don't agree with the cost of £60.00 to fit a battery, however if you have a waterproof watch and have a battery fitted it needs to be retested depending on what machine they use either a dry or wet test depends on how much that bit of equipment costs, could run into a couple of thousand. If you had a battery fitted and it leaked I think you would be back to the shop quicker than that demanding that something be done. With an expensive watch goes an expensive repair/maintenance `

Yeah, just a bit cheeky. I had a battery fitted to it before and it cost me £6 including the pressure testing. That was 12 years ago though.

I'm after a reliable wind up or kinetic watch, without the battery at all. Think I may go all English Gent and get myself a pocket watch.

Rolex Yachtmaster is my everyday watch, all the Rolex quality without being as obvious as a Sub to potential scallies.....
image.jpg
Oh and a damaged thumb in an SF axe/kindling incident.....to the bone, ooo that smarted!

Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 148

you must have more money than sense to use a tag that costs that much for bushcraft.

Anyone own/owned a Traser? I'm about to pull the trigger on one and am just looking for some feedback? positive or negative , I'm a big boy.

Back