• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water bottles.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
What do you prefer.....plastic or metal..... and why.??

Personally I use the Klean Kanteen wide mouth.
They have nice wide mouths which makes filling and pouring easy.
Does not give off flavours or retain them.
Very easy to maintain and clean and can be used to heat water if needs be.
The are made from stainless steel and come with a life times warranty.
They weigh next to nothing when empty and have good water tight stoppers.
Have also used them as hot water bottles.

Bombproof and tuff as old boots.

What do you prefer.....plastic or metal..... and why.??

Personally I use the Klean Kanteen wide mouth.
They have nice wide mouths which makes filling and pouring easy.
Does not give off flavours or retain them.
Very easy to maintain and clean and can be used to heat water if needs be.
The are made from stainless steel and come with a life times warranty.
They weigh next to nothing when empty and have good water tight stoppers.
Have also used them as hot water bottles.

Bombproof and tuff as old boots.
Half litre aluminum simply because they only cost a pound from the pound shop:alert: if I'm doing an overnighter I'll also take a one sometimes two litre plastic milk container, cost when empty=nothing

Reactions: lol
we keep 2 plastic bottles of water in the car on a permanently, regularly flushed and refilled.
I have many plastic and a few aluminium water canteens, and I have a round "western style" canteen which holds 3 pints.

we keep 2 plastic bottles of water in the car on a permanently, regularly flushed and refilled.
I have many plastic and a few aluminium water canteens, and I have a round "western style" canteen which holds 3 pints.
Why throw a useful strong plastic bottle away when all it needs is a good clean?

Why throw a useful strong plastic bottle away when all it needs is a good clean?
exactly, but you have to be careful with plastic pop type bottles, they deteriorate over time and under direct sunlight, I have been told the plastic will "leech" into the contents over time.

exactly, but you have to be careful with plastic pop type bottles, they deteriorate over time and under direct sunlight, I have been told the plastic will "leech" into the contents over time.
That's why I use milk containers Paul, pop bottle are to flimsy and brittle. Milk containers I change every trip anyway

That's why I use milk containers Paul, pop bottle are to flimsy and brittle. Milk containers I change every trip anyway
I was told never to use milk containers under any circumstances it seems no matter how well it is washed out there is always a residue and it will taint whatever you put in it.

I was told never to use milk containers under any circumstances it seems no matter how well it is washed out there is always a residue and it will taint whatever you put in it.
Never happened to me yet Paul

Only trouble with the plastic ones is............... they put the fire out when you try and boil your water :p:D:D;)

Reactions: lol
Never happened to me yet Paul
its to do with the fat globules Joe, they stick to the inside of the plastic, just what I've been told, we use UHT milk and that comes in cartons.
we buy a pack of the carbonated water, these bottles are more sturdy than the still water ones, dump the contents and fill with fresh water.

They look not to bad Paul a mite have me one ov them :thumbsup:

Wide neck, easy to clean, can be put onto a fire to boil water, (remove lid and lanyard), easy to clean, not too badly priced.......I really rate them...

its to do with the fat globules Joe, they stick to the inside of the plastic, just what I've been told, we use UHT milk and that comes in cartons.
we buy a pack of the carbonated water, these bottles are more sturdy than the still water ones, dump the contents and fill with fresh water.
Baby feed bottles are made of plastic these days Paul , milk containers can be completely cleaned with milton steriliser in the same way. I used to run it through my caravan water lines twice a year

yes, you could use Milton, I think my way is easier and a lot less fuss!!:D:snigger:

I have settled on Two of the Guyot design SS 32 Oz ( but not the backpacker as it falls over two easily in my opinion.) with Modifications done to both.

I use them with GSI glacier Cups as they fit snugly together.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSI-Outdo...d24dce3&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=7&sd=131794955172

I have the screw in filter top ( can't remember what thats called... ) for both to just filter water with debris before I boil it.

I have a couple of Gelert Ascent Pots to go with it which gives me further cooking and heating options - these all fit snuggly together and provides a Lid.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/cam...-pd-7082.php?gclid=CJPwyKaUwMwCFQuNGwodpzkEhw

Everything fits inside a Condor H20 Pouch.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/produc...ve-drab.html?gclid=CJSQ2NqUwMwCFeUV0wodX84ERw

Recently I have purchased a 64 Oz Klean kanteen to see how that functions as a alternative option. The ability to store and purify water shouldn't be underestimated imo.

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wide-mouth-64oz?variant=860252555

I have settled on Two of the Guyot design SS 32 Oz ( but not the backpacker as it falls over two easily in my opinion.) with Modifications done to both.

I use them with GSI glacier Cups as they fit snugly together.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSI-Outdoors-Glacier-Stainless-Bottle-Cup-Pot-18oz-Ultralight-Steel-Camping/131795421656?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=e1fde038debf4028b46a947e7d24dce3&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=7&sd=131794955172

I have the screw in filter top ( can't remember what thats called... ) for both to just filter water with debris before I boil it.

I have a couple of Gelert Ascent Pots to go with it which gives me further cooking and heating options - these all fit snuggly together and provides a Lid.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/cam...-pd-7082.php?gclid=CJPwyKaUwMwCFQuNGwodpzkEhw

Everything fits inside a Condor H20 Pouch.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/produc...ve-drab.html?gclid=CJSQ2NqUwMwCFeUV0wodX84ERw

Recently I have purchased a 64 Oz Klean kanteen to see how that functions as a alternative option. The ability to store and purify water shouldn't be underestimated imo.
OK
http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/mouth-64oz?variant=860252555

I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of good quality drinking water but what happens if you are caught out without fancy water filters etc? Well then as during the times before modern technology you have to improvise. Spagnum Moss, sand, crushed charcoal to improvise a filter and then just a rolling boil

I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of good quality drinking water but what happens if you are caught out without fancy water filters etc? Well then as during the times before modern technology you have to improvise. Spagnum Moss, sand, crushed charcoal to improvise a filter and then just a rolling boil

I also agree completely but how many other things could we apply that too?

I agree once you have the Knowledge and experience of of something you then OWN that skill ( but should revisit it occasionally to remind oneself ) - this whole post is on Water Bottles isn't it?? ( Just checked the title and yes it is. )

I know the primitive methods of water procurement and recognise what you are saying - why don't you start a nice tutorial on it somewhere Joe? Show us how one would procure and filter water with basic equipment.

Back