• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water bottles.

I also agree completely but how many other things could we apply that too?

I agree once you have the Knowledge and experience of of something you then OWN that skill ( but should revisit it occasionally to remind oneself ) - this whole post is on Water Bottles isn't it?? ( Just checked the title and yes it is. )

I know the primitive methods of water procurement and recognise what you are saying - why don't you start a nice tutorial on it somewhere Joe? Show us how one would procure and filter water with basic equipment.
OK, will do complete with stage by stage photographs

I've got a selection that are used for different things.

For strength you can't beat standard army issue black 1 litre bottles, they nest in with my canteen stand stove with a crusader mug if needed. They also keep water from spoiling for a relatively long time and Ray mears swears by them. I've also got a selection of hydration bladders although they are better for sipping from than filling a kettle or putting out a fire.

When I carry water for working with kids then I tend to use empty robin sons squash bottles as I find them generally robust and I seem to have a constant supply of them.

The real issue is keeping a water bottle clean, especially a hydration ouch which I only ever put water in, never squash or power drinks etc. they can be kept in a freezer when not in use or rinsed with Milton type baby bottle tablets.

I've got a few metal and plastic i reccomend the plastic maxpedition and of course the army ones but i never use any i just keep the water in the bottles i get it in if i boil water i use a stainless billy can

4 Volvic ice tea 0,5 liters in the summer, one or two of them in the winter, which I empty at first.

360 degree stainless steel bottles in the winter, because they are light and cheap

Sometimes additional Thermos Vacuum Stainless steel bottle in very cold conditions to store hot water over the night outside the sleeping bag

(Thermos light and compact is the best in the moment, Decathlon offers a good, cheap and light one too)

WP_20171129_01_22_55_Pro.jpg WP_20171129_01_24_15_Pro.jpg WP_20171129_01_24_03_Pro.jpg WP_20171229_13_34_29_Pro.jpg WP_20180114_19_00_44_Pro.jpg WP_20171229_13_35_47_Pro.jpg

Only trouble with the plastic ones is............... they put the fire out when you try and boil your water :p:D:D;)

I've boiled water in plastic bottles before without any real issues. I know some frown upon this as they say it releases toxins into the water but it's a good thing to get you out of a sticky situation.

WP_20180416_04_23_47_Pro.jpg WP_20180423_02_09_00_Pro.jpg

I found a fitting mug for the 750ml 360 Degrees bottle. It is the Robens 450ml titanium mug.

So you know the diameter that fits here. (May be you can find a cheaper one too.)

This both bottles fit perfectly in the side pockets of the german army mountain troop rucksack 34 litres. The Thermos contains 500ml. (Here it is necessary to use the insulated closure with the 360Degrees. The black plastic closure would be to high to fit in.)
Of course Together 1250ml isn't very much.

WP_20180331_23_52_32_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I think, the very cheap Tomshoo 450ml titanium mug (with lid) should fit too.

Back