• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water filter

All flushed and cleaned with Milton , no signs of any gunk 😁👍

C060CBBF-6829-4628-8632-DF190D6487BB.jpeg

The guys over the other place recommend standing them to drain and or somewhere warm to dry them out properly.

I do that with the lifestraw when I get home, try and shake and blow as much moisture out as I can then stand it upright on the draining board. Periodically shake and blow as much out as I can. The Sawyers are a bit small but I try and shake out as much as I can after back flushing them.

Having flushed any filter system out after usage and shaken as much water out as possible, and allowed drain, there is the option to nick the Mrs' Hair Dryer and give the system a 'Blow Dry' on warm setting before finally stowing it away.
This will remove any moisture residue and prevent any mould growth in the filters.

Disclaimer... I deny any encouragement to capture/use/abuse Madam's property and you do so at your own peril...:lol:

Very impressed with the Lifestraw very recently when in the canoe....... but you can't pour/dribble into a cooking pot as you have to suck on the bottle: that was the only disadvantage; not carrying water was just brilliant.
I'm now very keen to get a system, the American Hydroblu was looking top of the list but unavailable here, so now looking at Sawyer, but confused by their site options? Is there an all in one option allowing drinking and pouring...a bottle rather than a bag?

Very impressed with the Lifestraw very recently when in the canoe....... but you can't pour/dribble into a cooking pot as you have to suck on the bottle: that was the only disadvantage; not carrying water was just brilliant.
I'm now very keen to get a system, the American Hydroblu was looking top of the list but unavailable here, so now looking at Sawyer, but confused by their site options? Is there an all in one option allowing drinking and pouring...a bottle rather than a bag?

You can use them as gravity filters and let it fill a bottle mate, they're reasonably quick too so you don't have to hang around for that long before you have a litre or so.

You can use them as gravity filters and let it fill a bottle mate, they're reasonably quick too so you don't have to hang around for that long before you have a litre or so.

.......with the Lifestraw???
Am looking very closely at the Sawyer Mini Squeeze??????

Sorry mate, I was on about the Sawyer mini. Plenty on youtube for your perusal.

• Haha
Reactions: lol

I would go with the mini simply on price, (currently £25 ish) with the squeeze you're paying a lot for additional connectors.
The mini works from a fold flat bladder through the filter and into a bottle...or it works with a straw (both are supplied with it along with a back flush seringe.) You can also put the mini in line as part of a hydration bladder.

Reactions: Bam
Have ordered (someone has ordered for me?????) a micro squeeze..........not a mini, a micro? Strangely has faster flow rates!

Used the recently bought (£39) Sawyer Micro Squeeze on a 2 day one night wild canoe camp in the Broads.
(Just amazing couple of days!)
Any way, I chose this because:
1/Packable size
2/Can drink or feed a container
3/Best flow rate
4/Apparently good spec and easy to maintain.

Not supplied with a pouch.
Not cheap....but not too expensive either.

In simple terms it performed very well, but filling the bag (not bottle) from a water source was tiresome. as it will have a tendency to collapse to balance water pressure.....but it can be overcome.
However, any standard plastic bottle can screw on instead of using a bag?
The back flushing syringe (excellent addition) doesn't actually attach, you have to hold it in place

Water tasted good, (from a murky, muddy creek up the Broads) and when back flushed when I got home, you could see the dirt off the filters.
Generally well pleased with its performance and versatility.
(Sawyer Micro Squeeze......£39)

Back