• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water - How much?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
So, on a recent over-nighter I took 3.5L of water which obviously adds 3.5kg to the weight of my already heavy pack.

I was camping beside a river but don't think I'd be comfortable drinking boiled water from there.

I know the answer to this is probably "Depends on the person and the situation" but how much water would you carry for one night?

Do you fully trust a water filter? (recommendations?)

TIA, Paul

I’ve boiled loch water and once out a stream. Am sure it’s boil to a rolling boil then keep boiling for a further 1 min then it’s good to go.

Am like yourself Paul lol. I haven’t made the transition to wild/fresh water. Yet! Lol.

As for carrying water in a think 3lt is fine mate. All depending on the duration of the stay. I carry a little more right enough as am paranoid about causing a fire so I always have a bottle of water just for the fire lol

So, on a recent over-nighter I took 3.5L of water which obviously adds 3.5kg to the weight of my already heavy pack.

I was camping beside a river but don't think I'd be comfortable drinking boiled water from there.

I know the answer to this is probably "Depends on the person and the situation" but how much water would you carry for one night?

Do you fully trust a water filter? (recommendations?)

TIA, Paul
We drank a lot of boiled water from the river during the summer meet without any ill effects Paul, I would imagine that your streams are probably a lot cleaner. For a solo overnighter I think 2 litres maximum is plenty if your camping beside a stream because you have a ready source of water for washing up etc

Joe, this river near me is brown, very brown and is fed by run-off from animal fields and an Viridor refuse site. It's not worth the risk mate LOL

Hi Paul, I been taking between a 1-2L with me for a overnighter, depending on what scran i take.

Also take my Sawyer mini for longer trips, i'd recommend a Sawyer mini, but no good in minus temps if the carbon filter freezers, it can damage it, rendering it useless.

Joe, this river near me is brown, very brown and is fed by run-off from animal fields and an Viridor refuse site. It's not worth the risk mate LOL
I see Paul, that does sound like a risk to far in a non emergency

2 litres for an overnighter or 24hr period if it was summer 3-4 litres. I've drunk steam water all my life and often took a chance unboiled many a time with no ill effects (I do take a course of strong antibiotics once a year to clear out any infections or parasites I may gave got over the year out in the bush that are showing no symptoms) There are streams and rivers and thrust are streams and rivers. When considering drinking from them consider if animals are going to the toilet in them, any signs if rats and us there there and other pollution risks. I filter stream/river water with a millbank bag or cotton or silk cloth then rolling boil for 3 mins, some say just bring to the boil is enough. If you can find water coming from direct within the land into the stream it's happy days.

Back