• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water music

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Today started dry but rather grey with a low pale sun struggling to breakthrough. By 10.00 hrs however Baal was winning, chasing the clouds away leaving scattered Thunderheads moving out to sea. I've almost always got my Bergan packed so it was just a question of filling the water bottles, raiding the biscuit tin and heading for the woods.
DSCF6384.JPG

DSCF6386.JPG

In spite of the very obvious leaf fall the woods are still very green and in the shelter and warmth of the deep woods the wild Rhododendrons are still in bloom.
DSCF6387.JPG

Very warm bordering on hot sun. The shadow of dangling Bergan straps make it look as if I'm using two walking sticks... Nope, still tottering around with one, and that's just for company and poking things....:lol:
DSCF6396.JPG

Do you ever wonder what has killed a tree? Same species, same soil, sharing the same shelter and environment and no signs of lightning strike. and yet a tree dies. Has to be disease or pest attack, millions of things the size of match heads probably and they leave a tall stark skeleton standing amongst the greenery.
DSCF6389.JPG

Tracking is a favourite skill with me. Occasionally something different catches my eye. Today it was signs of Mountainous Bikus.
DSCF6391.JPG

This species is very often to be found in groups of young males, although occasionally family or single individuals are encountered in the woods. Generally they are not dangerous because any alert walker can hear the excited noise they make when in numbers, often chattering or even shouting as they stampede through the woods. Even lone individuals can be heard by a distinctive rattling, squeaking noise as they approach at speed. Their vision is restricted to the few feet immediately in front of them, so they are generally oblivious to their surroundings. Occasionally and for some unknown reason this species dives into the undergrowth or collides with trees. Scientists are still baffled by this strange behaviour.
Scuff marks on the ground alerted me today to the passage of one of these strange creatures and a casual search produced the item pictured above. Not easy to identify but...on reflection..probably from a young Male.

Brew time, using a little meths burner imported from the land of Universal viruses.
DSCF6399.JPG

DSCF6403.JPG

My seat on the damp log, is a Wilco £1.50 garden kneeling pad wrapped in a garden refuse bag. Light as a feather.
DSCF6397.JPG

Tea, hot sun and the music from the stream recently fed by local rain.
DSCF6398.JPG
DSCF6395.JPG

A different aspect on each side of the trail where I sat. Green and sunny, with the water music on on side, on the other rather dark and silent.
DSCF6401.JPG

DSCF6402.JPG

On the way home. From a distance the Sweet Chestnuts look to promise a good harvest, but most show little signs of anything worth gathering. Perhaps next month will produce more mature fare. Ah! well, at least the Squirrels and other furry folk who live in the wood will eat what has fallen already..
DSCF6392.JPG
DSCF6404.JPG

Last edited:
Today started dry but rather grey with a low pale sun struggling to breakthrough. By 10.00 hrs however Baal was winning, chasing the clouds away leaving scattered Thunderheads moving out to sea. I've almost always got my Bergan packed so it was just a question of filling the water bottles, raiding the biscuit tin and heading for the woods.
View attachment 22665

View attachment 22666

In spite of the very obvious leaf fall the woods are still very green and in the shelter and warmth of the deep woods the wild Rhododendrons are still in bloom.
View attachment 22667

Very warm bordering on hot sun. The shadow of dangling Bergan straps make it look as if I'm using two walking sticks... Nope, still tottering around with one, and that's just for company and poking things....:lol:View attachment 22668

Do you ever wonder what has killed a tree? Same species, same soil, sharing the same shelter and environment and no signs of lightning strike. and yet a tree dies. Has to be disease or pest attack, millions of things the size of match heads probably and they leave a tall stark skeleton standing amongst the greenery.
View attachment 22669

Tracking is a favourite skill with me. Occasionally something different catches my eye. Today it was signs of Mountainous Bikus.
View attachment 22680

This species is very often to be found in groups of young males, although occasionally family or single individuals are encountered in the woods. Generally they are not dangerous because any alert walker can hear the excited noise they make when in numbers, often chattering or even shouting as they stampede through the woods. Even lone individuals can be heard by a distinctive rattling, squeaking noise as they approach at speed. Their vision is restricted to the few feet immediately in front of them, so they are generally oblivious to their surroundings. Occasionally and for some unknown reason this species dives into the undergrowth or collides with trees. Scientists are still baffled by this strange behaviour.
Scuff marks on the ground alerted me today to the passage of one of these strange creatures and a casual search produced the item pictured above. Not easy to identify but...on reflection..probably from a young Male.

Brew time, using a little meths burner imported from the land of Universal viruses.
View attachment 22682
View attachment 22672

My seat on the damp log, is a Wilco £1.50 garden kneeling pad wrapped in a garden refuse bag. Light as a feather.
View attachment 22673

Tea, hot sun and the music from the stream recently fed by local rain.
View attachment 22674View attachment 22675

A different aspect on each side of the trail where I sat. Green and sunny, with the water music on on side, on the other rather dark and silent.View attachment 22676

View attachment 22677

On the way home. From a distance the Sweet Chestnuts look to promise a good harvest, but most show little signs of anything worth gathering. Perhaps next month will produce more mature fare. Ah! well, at least the Squirrels and other furry folk who live in the wood will eat what has fallen already..
View attachment 22678View attachment 22679
Looking at that dead tree I'd say that it was a beetle kill and probably means some of the others will eventually go the same way, however nature provides and nature takes away in a never ending circle

sign0201.gif
...Thank you folks, if anyone gets fed up with my ramblings..just throw something at me...
scared0012.gif

Attachments

• sign0201.gif
    sign0201.gif
    1,011 bytes · Views: 58
  • scared0012.gif
    scared0012.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 16
  • sign0201.gif
    sign0201.gif
    1,011 bytes · Views: 9
Hi Saxonaxe,

Great post and beautiful pics to go with it. Really enjoyed reading it. You hit the nail on the head with 'Water Music' and what a great spot for your break... You are fortunate to have country like that to ramble in...

Thanks for sharing such insightful observations and the experience. 👍

Alan

"Reflection":rofl:......."Mountainous Bikus" :thumbsup: 🤭:rofl:

A lovely ramble Sax in some lovely surroundings.....cracking pictures and write up :thumbsup:

Back