• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water music.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Arrived home earlier this afternoon from a two night camping trip to the Brecon beacons. Not fit enough yet for yomping round the hills but just to be in the area in beautiful weather made the trip worthwhile. It was a 180+ mile round trip and as the campsite asked not arrive before 2.30 pm on the Sunday it wasn't a crack of dawn start, thankfully.
I stopped for a break about halfway, slightly puzzled by a feint but persistent clicking noise. The culprit was a piece of tin foil that I had stuck on the bottom of the Pannier bag immediately above the exhaust, visible in the photo. It transpired that it wasn't really necessary anyway so I pulled it off.

DSC00638.JPG

Approaching the Brecons from the West.

DSC00639.JPG

DSC00640.JPG

Even in the shade of the trees at my stopping point the temperature was high , so I was glad to get rolling again.
A fine hot Sunday..when the shiney new bikes come out, quite a few with shiney new riders or polished up old riders who have been born again..
At 60mph and a whisker I was constantly overtaken by bikes easily 20 mph over the speed limit. Bunches of bikes, the first few getting the overtakes on other vehicles completed safely but quite often the tailenders narrowly avoided head ons.. lots of headlamp flashing and white faced car drivers was the result. I just plodded along and rolled off the throttle when I expected the road ahead to be strewn with debis but thankfully I didn't have to avoid any, although I did hear later at the campsite of a fatal one bike accident.

DSC00649.JPG

A lovely peaceful campsite on the bank of the River Usk at the site of an old Water Mill. I used the Lan Shan 2 because it packs down small enough to go in my bike panniers. Usually a tent would ride on the pillion as in the days of my Guzzi, but I cannot yet kick high enough to get onto the bike if the pillion is loaded too high.
P1030957.JPG

The River is beautiful, not a shopping Trolley, bike frame or Road Cone to be seen decorating it's fast flowing waters.

A Grey Heron came to feed in the river just a few yards from the tent door..
DSC00643.JPG

I got a few walks to Town in during my stay, about a mile round trip which was good practice and a chance to see the river at close quarters.
DSC00651.JPG
DSC00652.JPG

I liked the Town too, old and slow paced, the Iron Duke's statue stands opposite the Hotel bearing his name. People sit in the sun drinking coffee while he gazes into history, no doubt still hearing the roar of Cannon.
DSC00653.JPG

Back to camp. A quite place, well kept and plenty of space to pitch where one wished.
DSC00650.JPG

DSC00648.JPG

It was nice to fall asleep after a hot day, listening to the river hurrying over the shallows a few feet from the tent door.

An easy, sunny ride home and tomorrow is de-kit day and no doubt evicting a few Spiders that have been involuntarily transported from Powys to Pembrokeshire..Serves 'em right, shouldn't sneak into Sax's tent and not leave before it gets taken down...:lol:

Ps. Just seen your kind offer of tea, Mike. Never quite got that far North, but thank you anyway.:thumbsup:

Oh God....and I haven't been away on bike, canoe or foot... :thumbsdown: ..........

Just fabulous Sax, fabulous.

Back