• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Water Storage For Newcomers.

How far does the smell of sizzling bacon and sausages travel in the woods? At least 100m and more :)

Not very 'grey man' LW LOL but fine if your just off doing a bit of camping.

I carry bacon and sausages when I am off backpacking, cant beat it for breakfast when wild camping.

I love a fried brekkie if in a fixed camp but hiking/wild camping then the ingredients are too heavy so I stick to Muesli with full fat dried Nido milk.

Coffee is the only absolute requirement for my breakfast but I also like porridge to set me up for the day. A neat hint for reducing cooking time is to add the liquid to the porridge the night before.

I want to talk about water storage for those small events and inconveniences of life.
The Human Body is about 50-65% water depending on your weight and gender, we lose a lot of water through sweat, pee and excrement, and on average we need to drink about 2.2 litres(for women) to 3 litres(for men), although for survival purposes we can exist on 2-2.5 litres per day, thats not moving about too much, not exerting ourselves,sitting in the shade, not doing heavy manual labour, that dosent include bathing, cooking, washing up or washing clothes, flushing the toilet, so some people like to allow as much as 5 litres/1 gallon, that's per person per day.
I think for most events of the minor variety mains water wont be lost, mains water will probably exist for some time even after electric power is lost, but it may be advisable to have some bottled water on hand "just in case", say maybe 72 hours worth about 15 litres/3 gallons, this should take up too much space, and should be kept in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight.
I really need to sort this out LW.. If a situation happened, once the stored has gone we have no access to water.

There's water, just the quality to worry about. Test, filter, treat... and hope..

Then you may like to look into other means... rainwater collection? Pipe it in, a well, evaporate and condense used water? There's a lot of ways, depending on how desperate the need.

ALL of it needs testing, filtering, treating, whether it be a basic bag filter or a sub-micron filter, and treating whether it be boiling, chemical (bleach/water tablets) or other means.

As I say, it depends on the immediate need.

water isn't really a problem in the far south west, we get plenty of rain here, then there are streams, rivers, springs and wells all over the place. just remember to treat it before drinking.

water storage like many say it rains enough here specialy where i am in south wales so collection wont be a problem.But i want to be ahead of the game and have some storage i have the room and the roof capture space for a couple of areas so i was thinking of installing some ibc 1000 ltr containers and capturing the water that way, so capture is easy.But question is how long will the water sit in said containers before it becomes undrinkable, yes i know we can boil it but come on no one wants to drink stagnent water even through a survival straw if at all possible.

so anyone have any ideas or do we think its just a case of empty it every few weeks and hope for the best and just be glad its in place when needed to do the capture?

water storage like many say it rains enough here specialy where i am in south wales so collection wont be a problem.But i want to be ahead of the game and have some storage i have the room and the roof capture space for a couple of areas so i was thinking of installing some ibc 1000 ltr containers and capturing the water that way, so capture is easy.But question is how long will the water sit in said containers before it becomes undrinkable, yes i know we can boil it but come on no one wants to drink stagnent water even through a survival straw if at all possible.

so anyone have any ideas or do we think its just a case of empty it every few weeks and hope for the best and just be glad its in place when needed to do the capture?
I chlorinate my water tanks but I still swap out the water approximately every six months. Potassium permanganate can help remove some bad tastes and cloudiness.

Keep the tanks as cool as possible out of sunlight of course,I don't do anything with mine I have a few little critters in there that seem to eat the detritus, but I do boil it.

Have you ever worked out how much water you use in a normal day? That will give you some idea of how much to store. There are lots of places on the WWW that tell you the minimum necessary for survival but what everyone uses at present is different. l don't have a shower every morning and a bath every night, or bath the dog every week like my sister does so my use is lower in that respect. She doesn't grow veg (or much else, having an artificial lawn) so uses less than l do there. As we have an alternative water supply (a spring) to our everyday borehole supply (which needs electricity for the pump and UV light) l don't have to worry about storage here.

i did see a article once not sure where i think pintrest about some people keeping gold fish in there harvested rain water to keep it from stagnation.But not sure how that would work(was along time a go i read that mind)

How about a Water Purification Bottle & Filter? I've used one in the lakes without problems. Or water purification tablets? They take up a lot less space than bottled water. I backpacked around morocco using them and never got the runs.

Back