• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Waterproof mobile phone cases.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
The mobile phone can sometimes be the only link we have between ourselves and home.......... or emergency services (Signal permitting)
Being outdoors types, protecting the phone seems like a good idea and for a small investment offers peace of mind and protection for these valuable bits of kit.
I have been looking around lately at the different options out there and found this one.

Floatable Waterproof Case / Pouch for all Smart Phones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276297611017&psc=1

Do you guys use something like this to protect your phone?...........what are you using and could confidently recommend?

My phone is waterproof / resistant so I don't bother, come to that I never have, just a bit of common sense, I have put them in dry bags before now.

I’ve used something similar for a few years; as well as keeping the phone dry it also keeps fluff/dirt out of the headphone and power sockets.

Got something similar although I don't always use it. I killed a phone a few years back, up to my waist in an unexpected peat bog. Any doubt and my phone is at least in a drybag inside the rucksack.

I have this here in use since several years.
It survived more than 3000 km in the side leg pocket of my trousers.
It closes at first with a lip closure like we know it from freezer Zipplock bags, but closed by pressing it, not by zipper, and than it's additional wrapped around like a dry bag.
It is totally air tight and fits with the molle system, so we can't loose it if we attach it to the rucksack somehow.

That pouch exists from Decathlon in blue coulor as fishing equipment too with a different closure and a bit wider size and to hang it around the neck instead of molle system attachment.
I own it but didn't use it so long. It seems to be pretty similar to the orange one.

Decathlon offers other similar bags with a tighter closure for water sports which have a nicer more elegant design with a tighter fit around the phone.

I didn't try them out, but I guess they should be good too.

No idea, where they are hidden in the Decathlon website. Between Geonaute stuff or water sports probably.

That case is pretty bomb proof.

It protects the phone against shock, water and dust, but you have to take it out if you want to use it.

I use this case mainly to protect my glasses in the car, when sleeping in the bivvy bag and in youth hostels, where I never know, if suddenly a drunken guy starts stupid movement.

It exists in several sizes.

My next smartphone will be a water tight construction by the way.
That's surely the best option, in danger double sealed with the bags and cases we discuss here.

The case I linked to will be mainly used in the Sea for wading/ fishing.......so it will be in a harsh salty and sandy environment.
I want easy and visible access to the phone and the ability to use its functions while still inside its case.
It will be clipped to my submersible backpack or attached to my arm.

Have not long replaced my phone so taking no chances.

The black case I recommended isn't good with sand. Sand glues to the rubber O ring, and it is relatively thin. It could get a hole there. I never got one, but I think so.

And if you really want to use it standing in the water that locking thing you showed is surely better than the Decathlon offers, which would be good enough for bushcraft and daily use in town.
The locking mechanism brings a higher pressure to the closure, and it's really locked in the end.

I have this somewhere too. My father bought it with his first mobile phone.
I just forgot where it is.
To much equipment!

;0)

@1 shot willie

Fishing and phones do not mix buddy as you probably know. When I did sea fishing of rocks and such I used something similar. Sure it was an otter box production..I think lol. What I done was attached a bubble float to mine also.... the brighter the better... doesn’t look pretty lol but very affective buddy.

Hi Mark.

Otter Box was probably it mate.
When I had a boat and Kayaks years ago I used to use them as well.....good bits of kit 👍
I think I will get away without a bubble float as the case floats on its own..........it will be attached to a lanyard and clipped on me or the pack 👍

Back