• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Waterproof Over Trousers - Recommendation

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Hi folks, I'm in the need of a pair of waterproof over trousers and I was hoping for some guidance.
I've bought a few pairs before but they all seen to turn out to be cheap Chinese tat and either not fitting or not working.

Can anyone recommend a good pair?
Also, is it best to buy a size above your normal size to accommodate the walking trousers or is this normally factored in?

I know this seems like a daft question but I'm sick of getting soaked through :)

I did look on MM but I don't think they had anything that would fit me???
I'm 6ft2 so need a long leg an I'm a happy lockdown 40" round the middle :rofl:

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

DD

not sure if you're into the camo vibe or not but i picked up a pair of German Army gortex bib-style trousers a while ago and they are a good bit of kit. comfortable, thick material, obviously made for heavy use and they passed the garden hose test with flying colours. also grabbed the jacket to go with and it's as good or better.

imo these are the best gortex i've ever owned: heavy duty and made for serious wear in serious wet conditions.

these are the ones, though my particular ones came up to mid chest in the front and roughly above the kidneys at the back..
obviously finding your size is gonna be a bit of a dice roll:

Last edited:
not sure if you're into the camo vibe or not but i picked up a pair of German Army gortex bib-style trousers a while ago and they are a good bit of kit. comfortable, thick material, obviously made for heavy use and they passed the garden hose test with flying colours. also grabbed the jacket to go with and it's as good or better.

imo these are the best gortex i've ever owned: heavy duty and made for serious wear in serious wet conditions.

Dont suppose you have a link do you teef?

yeah, added that to the post. just click "Gortex Flecktarn" and you should be on your way.

i know how difficult it can be to find a particular item since the regular shops are constantly going in and out of stock. fwiw i have used all of these and none are terrible:
militarymart.co.uk (first rate)
surplusandoutdoors.com (very good, huge range of stock)
surplusandlost.co.uk (these guys are sometimes a little overly optimistic in their grading of surplus gear)
epicmilitaria.com (first rate)
goarmy.co.uk (limited stock, often higher prices than most)
and of course varusteleka.com (premium gear and premium prices too i'm afraid, Finland so obviously beware of the Brexit bite)

Last edited:
The British army goretex over trousers are also pretty good, the newer MTP ones are lightweight and better specced but will be more expensive.

I like Berghaus paclite trousers , light weight yet feel robust , nice fit , perhaps a little close fitting for some ( depends what you wear underneath I guess ) with good adjustment at waist and ankle , only come in black đź‘Ť

plus one for the current Mtp lightweight trousers - similar to the paclite ones above

What about a rain kilt ???? :)

Cheaper options available on Amazon and Ebay of course ……..

I hear good things about this company although I have no experience with them myself .

Actually that rain Kilt is not a bad idea @Madriverrob and would possibly be more comfortable than the trousers..........that normally end up slipping down over your arse if not wearing bracers.....more breathable too.......easy on and off :thumbsup:

Think I would shop around though......as you suggest :)

As with all things it depends what you want them for; if it’s mootching about in the woods doing rough work then a pair of older hardwearing DPM pull over trousers will probably suffice, if it’s long distance hill walking then better fitting civi ones which are easier to take on and off (so your more likely to use them) will be better. I’ve got both (well technically all three as I have DPM and MTP issued ones) and use them accordingly.

my berghaus eVent fabric over trousers massively changed the way I looked at them for civi use, comfy, well fitted with easy use access zips at the calf to make them simple to put on and take off.

Actually that rain Kilt is not a bad idea @Madriverrob and would possibly be more comfortable than the trousers..........that normally end up slipping down over your arse if not wearing bracers.....more breathable too.......easy on and off :thumbsup:

Think I would shop around though......as you suggest :)

There are some simple patterns online for if you wanted to make your own ….. self adhesive Velcro strip and some secondary double glazing film
( Stormguard ) .

I have never been able to find "outdoorsy" trousers that will fit me without a mortgage.......... with a 35-36 inside leg.............

I hear good things about this company although I have no experience with them myself .
i've ordered from them three times, first rate all the way.
they often have rare and unusual stuff that you can't get or don't see elsewhere.
prices tend to be a bit on high side but the quality of the stuff they sell is 2nd to none. never a quibble with a single thing i've received.

and a bonus: they do great U-tube videos! for instance:

and my personal favourite:

technically that 2nd one is Savotta not Varusteleka but Savotta is virtually the house premium brand for Varusteleka so there you go.

Last edited:
Back