• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wax trousers

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Need a new pair of waterproofs and have been looking at wax cotton/ barbour type ones, I know they will be a bit heavy compared to modern types but will they be harder wearing, ie: will they pierce or rip when kneeling? Also while on the subject of waterproofs, can you use the Greenland type wax to reproof a wax jacket or is it not suitable.
Cheers

I had a waxed motor cycle jacket and trousers for car trials. Very tough. Used it when picking blackberries and it stood up well to the brambles. Used to sweat a bit though.

I've used wax cotton trousers when sitting around Pigeon shooting, but unless the weather is very bitter I find they are too hot for general wear. When beating I used to use the wax cotton (Barbour) leg slips which are pretty Bramble and Thorn proof but of course you need a long jacket to avoid a wet bum when it's raining.

Never tried the breeks myself and used to find the jackets too warm and sweaty for more than a bimble. I'm a warm and sweaty bugger though, even when I was thin, you might appreciate the extra toastiness.

I have used wax chaps before and although great there is the small problem of wet cherries ( Even if mine don't work its still very unpleasant!)

I have used wax chaps before and although great there is the small problem of wet cherries ( Even if mine don't work its still very unpleasant!)

šŸ˜±

2012-06-clickage29.0.jpg

There was a story that did the rounds of shooting folk where I used to live. It's probably bull, but everyone laughed about it.
A city gent moved to the wilds of Norfolk and joined an expensive shooting syndicate. He learned that on one Drive they would be expected to walk through frost covered Kale to get to their shooting pegs.
The Head Keeper advised him that he would get wet and when asked by the novice what to wear, told him it would be best to wear a long waxed jacket and waxed chaps, with the final warning that if he wore trousers he would get soaked.

After that particular drive was finished the Keeper noticed the new man was shivering and blue in the face, only to find the new man was wearing a long Barbour jacket and waxed chaps....and underpants......:eek:....:lol:

There was a story that did the rounds of shooting folk where I used to live. It's probably bull, but everyone laughed about it.
A city gent moved to the wilds of Norfolk and joined an expensive shooting syndicate. He learned that on one Drive they would be expected to walk through frost covered Kale to get to their shooting pegs.
The Head Keeper advised him that he would get wet and when asked by the novice what to wear, told him it would be best to wear a long waxed jacket and waxed chaps, with the final warning that if he wore trousers he would get soaked.

After that particular drive was finished the Keeper noticed the new man was shivering and blue in the face, only to find the new man was wearing a long Barbour jacket and waxed chaps....and underpants......:eek:....:lol:
Not a pheasant plucker. ....;):rofl::rofl:

I got a Driza Bone wax cotton long jacket, second hand from fleabay at Ā£45, best water proof I have. I was out walking the mutt in the worst of yesterdays storm and I was dry on my return. Though the mutt and my old Altberg boots weren't, they finally gave up the ghost, not the dog mind. I knew they were on the way as the GoreTec had worn out. Need to see if I can mend them with some soleglue or some such, just to have to potter about.

I just waxed up my new pair of Fjallraven Vidda Pro, they need another layer or two of wax, I will report back when used in anger.

I got them to make them waterproof as the other pair I got, I want to use for everyday faffing about and good weather wear. As they are the most comfy pair of trousers I have, I know they are expensive, but they make up for that in no time. Being in-between in sizes and with long legs, finding a pair that just fits is a pain in the ...

Either they are too tight, lose, leg crawls up when you sit so they don't cover the lower leg or they trap the dangly bits. I forever spend my day lifting/tucking on them so that I can bend over, sit or move without entrapment. These Fjallraven just fit and I can sit without going OUCH. And that's even when the pockets are stuffed with crap, I really forget what I got in them, fully loaded and you can still moved about without thinking - "will I trap something when I sit" or "that x. y. z is just so annoying in that pocket".

On top of that they are fairly windproof too and very airy/light even for summers and warm in winters. They dry stupidly fast too, got soaked the other day in a proper winters shower, where they were clinging to my legs. 30 minutes later they were dry.

I have heard good results on waxing Fjallraven's so that is why I'm giving it a try. Also I hear that the wax give longevity to the trousers, which is an extra win when we talk about the cost of these.

Reactions: Bam
Back